Find
Notify
Tools

Cat for Shark bait
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted
So, if you are trying to catch either a salt-water or freshwater shark, does it matter which breed of bait you use? I just don't know which would be best choice ...

Brigitte Bardot, the 1950s and 1960s film star turned animal rights campaigner, has called on the French government to halt the reported use by fishermen on the island of Reunion of live puppies and kittens as shark bait.

"It is imperative that the government does something to end this practice," she said in a letter to the minister for French overseas territories, Francois Baroin, a copy of which was given to AFP Thursday.

According to Clicanoo, a newspaper in Reunion, a French island located in the Indian Ocean, a six-month-old puppy was found last month with hooks implanted in its snout and one of its legs.

The French Society for the Protection of Animals (SPA) told the daily the dog was the victim of cruel fishermen who attract sharks by throwing puppies or kittens into the water, tied to fishing lines, and wait for the predators to swallow the thrashing animals.

"We don't see that every day, but it's not the first time, either," Marie-Annick Chantrel, the vice-president of the Reunion branch of the SPA, told Clicanoo. "We've already seen cats six or seven months old with hooks in them."

Bardot told Baroin that "unfortunately these are not isolated incidents, and the people of Reunion are the first to be horrified by this despicable barbarity which mars the image of their island."

The campaigner, who runs an animal defence association, said she had written to authorities on the island to have them put a stop to the crime.

I would like to try that myself.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Did the puppies belong to anyone, or did they pick them up from an animal shelter a day or two before they were going to be humanely euthanized and then tossed into an incinerator?

There are a lot of people out there breeding poor-quality dogs that just drag down the gene-lines, or not monitoring their animals whatsoever. Is it a better life for these animals that they grow up with heart or joint problems? And what other person is stepping up volunteering to take this puppy into their home and raise it as one of the family?

Or is it any better or worse than growing veal for food in a little box and force-feeding it every day?

Why is it just the "cute" animals that have to be protected? What about the katauba worms of the world used as catfish bait with hooks cruelly stabbed right through their bodies, then being tossed into ponds to drown or be torn apart alive by catfish?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK so how about birman for sharkbait roflmao

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Bardot is another one on the stupid liberal list.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I've heard Wink of that practice around here too. It really doesn't work any better than many other live baits, like jackfish and such. So I've heard. Wink

Fish are easier to get on a hook too, so I've heard. Wink

Of course, there is no better use for the stupid punt puppies some people take with them to the pier for a nice relaxing evening fishing, now is there. Especially when the thing just yaps all night.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well fellas, I'm back for a bit. Shows what a guy will do for a laugh huh? roflmao

I've never subsribed to the idea of crats and dorgs for shark bait. For one thing there are better things out there. As an example, in late summer on the east coast of the Windy State(as in TODAY), the stingrays glom onto the beaches for all manner of X-rated frivolity. The rain on their parade would come in the form of Tiger Sharks. A whole bunch of them. So anyway, take a seine, run the shallows and you have gazoogles of the finest shark bait on the planet. And NOBODY gives a crat's ass what you do to stingrays. Lip hooking a kitten on a public beach down here, no matter how altruistic your motive, will make you dream of a quick and merciful death. Frowner

It matters not that you might be saving one of the tree humpers lives by doing this. In fact, the other tree humpers will be glad to see humanity diminished by one. Another thing in passing, before I move on to other subjects...I'm pretty sure Bardot would make good shark bait. Tigers eat people alla time in Hawaii, and anyhoo, the tree humpers will approve. I think that little tart has dealt with a lot of sharks in the past though, so be careful. Confused

Now if you catch a big shark, I don't know that it would hurt if you fed him before letting him go. Sorta like a reward if you get my meaning.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.AvoidThe.CrowdedCells

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pretty sure Bardot would make good shark bait.

True, and it has been tried - it is nothing new in using silicon lures in big game fishing... Big Grin

Regards,
Marterius Cool

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote