THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Saber tooth snow leopard.........

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saber tooth snow leopard.........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of moki
posted
I was in Lacombe, Alberta for the Christmas holidays. One morning I got up before dawn and went outside for a little coyote/crat hunting with my down loaded 45-70 450gr @ 300fps. The temperature that morning was -24C which is about -14F. None of my anti-hunting inlaws where up yet. I was sneaking along the fence line on a pasture near the in-laws place when all of a sudden the biggest "Saber Tooth Snow Leopard" poked its head above a snow drift. I lined up with my trusty T/C Contender carbine and let fly with my quiet loads. Thats when I learnt that quiet loads don't work when its that cold out. Bullet hit the ground about half way between us. So I threw caution to the wind and opened up with one of my 300gr Alfa La Frank spitzer loads. Flattened that monster good.......
Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moki:
I was in Lacombe, Alberta for the Christmas holidays. One morning I got up before dawn and went outside for a little coyote/crat hunting with my down loaded 45-70 450gr @ 300fps. The temperature that morning was -24C which is about -14F. None of my anti-hunting inlaws where up yet. I was sneaking along the fence line on a pasture near the in-laws place when all of a sudden the biggest "Saber Tooth Snow Leopard" poked its head above a snow drift. I lined up with my trusty T/C Contender carbine and let fly with my quiet loads. Thats when I learnt that quiet loads don't work when its that cold out. Bullet hit the ground about half way between us. So I threw caution to the wind and opened up with one of my 300gr Alfa La Frank spitzer loads. Flattened that monster good.......
Cam

Watch out as that load may stick in the barrel at only 300 fps. Check that each shot clears at those velocities. By the way what are the laws in your community on the shooting of domestic animals? If it's illegal then I suggest that you don't put it in writing the next time.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
A cat in a field is fair game on any planet in our Galaxy. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Nerves of steel there Moki. It takes a cool head to fix a weapon malfunction and still get the job done. You are lucky as hell that STSL didn't charge. It is better to be judged by 12 than buried by 6. Regards, ned

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly agree with Ned, and you should have the snow leopard mounted, they're kinda rare from what I hear. Assuming there was anything left of course, we don't want to stress the taxidermist. Roll Eyes

I wouldn't spend a lot of time checking out the law on this. Poletax is right but Savage99 thinks we're a bunch of heathens or worse. He means well, and is no doubt an upstanding example of fine citizenry, but alas, he has resisted entry into the fold. He watches the war from the sidelines I think, a Monday morning quarterback. It is only after one has faced the charge that one is freed of convention and becomes a warrior of the Quest.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Purrfect.Vacuum

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote