Find
Notify
Tools

super image
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
I just recived this image from an undisclosable source , but purports to be an image of the feline facial expression at the exact instant a high velocity V-Max projectile enters the feline fundamental orifice . Obviously cameras have gotten faster , this one is claimed to be fast enough to capture an image of an Australian with his mouth shut.....

[image][/image]

Actually I swiped it off one of those silly joke things that clogs the e-mail system but thought it was appropriate , even with a meaningless caption attached

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza, do not be deterred by the overwhelming response here. We are left breathless with mirth and pray that you have the next frame too, the one where be begins to explode.

I had no idea that any camera was capable of such speed BTW! Just goes to show...even though the Aussies can be faster than light, Kodak is quicker.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.EinsteinHadIt.Wrong

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You are of course right Dan. Fortunately I was not holding my breathe awaiting a response , but given that the photo has been viewed 88 or so times I was impressed with the with holding power of the members.

Unfortunately I dont have the next frame , although from personal " shoot tiddles up the date with .220 Swift " experience I imagine the cat would resume his normal size/shape with the exception that he would rattle and slosh badly when shaken .

Maybe those with larger calibre experience have differing results to tell ?

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, going up the caliber scale gives differing results as you might expect. A .257 Bob with a 75 gr VMAX can tickle 3500 fps pretty well, and depending on range and aspect one may or may not be able to ascertain what "it" was before impact. I haven't used Hi-Vel 7mm or .30 cal bullets but the more pedestrian bullet/velocity combos mostly make a bit larger than caliber hole, in and out. The .358 Win. does the same, but with 225 NP's it will start to expand on a New York(city) brain shot, and that pretty much makes for some spray on the grass or whatever.

You know shotguns I'm sure, so no need for my counsel there. I opined once before that if the bore were large enough and the bullet slow enough it might give rise to the ballistic equivalent of Punt the Cat when administered on the longitudinal axis. Perhaps one of the old Punt Guns with a pound of shot at about 350 fps would do.

No doubt this arena is the best justification for extreme high velocity and tiny if otherwise useless bullets. The 55 gr in the .243 comes to mind, 30-40 yards being suficient to avoid back splash and other unpleasantries.

I should be most pleased to continue this dialog under the influence of some brandy by the fireplace some rainy night. We Might compare notes on fine old English Doubles and what not.

Best Regards,

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.OrBritish.Tarts

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote