Find
Notify
Tools

Sub sonic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted
So i have a big tabby cat takin a dump in my yard now. I caught him last night. Unfortunately I live in town. I have read about sub sonic loads being alot quiter? Is this correct? i have a 22 , but was thinking it might make less noise if I use a sub sonic and a 223? Any thoughts, Should I just use a 22 short

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some of the Winchester "sub-sonics" and they are still quite loud out of a 10/22. The CB longs are much quieter especially if one tapes a pill bottle full of cotton batten to the muzzle. Wink derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CB Longs in a LR chamber, or CB shorts otherwise. Beyond your ability to put one in the brain pan you may want to consider other alternatives. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.IonPhased.PulseCannons

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
DD ,,,, no man, just a CB short in the ribs and let it run home !!!!!

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by short44:
DD ,,,, no man, just a CB short in the ribs and let it run home !!!!!

That is also know as "forensic evidence"! thumbdown derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason not to let them be found:
If fluffy doesn't come home the fluffyhumpers sit around the litterbox and hold hands. They think positive thoughts about its return and occasionally sniff the clumps to remind themselves of their absent family member. This can go on for weeks before they give up hope and replace the filthy thing. This helps maximize the time you are free from the consequences of their vile affections.
On the other hand, if they have positive evidence of the crat's demise, they immediately run to the euthanasia facility and replace it.
You end up losing that extra few weeks of relief.

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Thats just the way I did alot of them at the local dump, couldn't shoot down there, but no one could hear the little cb shorts out of a long barrel'd bolt gun, and I didnt want fluffy flip flopping around making a big seen and all so I would just pop one in the ribs and it would run off and sit down, then lay down, end of story. For a place like I live here yeah one to the nugget is best.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel for you people that have this problem, out here if I have a stray cat, dog, whatever I just step out the back door and shoot em with the 22-250. But honestly I wouldn't gut em and let them run off in town if I were going to shoot one it would be dead. Cb's would work, ignore the comment above about the bottle on the end of the gun filled with cotton unless 10 years in prison and heafty fine is worth a cat. For a little trouble you can buy a suppressor legally depending on what state you reside in. 4-5g's of handgun powder behind a 69g Sierra in 223 is subsonic through my suppressor.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Bearcat,,how loud are they out of ,,say a 20" standard barrel? Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Yeah can we get a vid with sound of you tapping off a few rounds ?? PLEASE !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay: They are very quiet, outside they just make a quiet hissing sound, the loudest part is when the bullet hits the target. Been going to send in my Rem 700 PSS LTR with a 20" barrel for bi-lock install, but for now the Sub's get shot out of a 16" 1-7 twist AR.

Short: Someone would have to coach me through posting a video to the sight, if I knew how I would, let me know.

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
I was at the gun range one day and a guy showed up with a AR with a 45ACP kit and a supressor !!! Man was it quit, you could hear the bullet swusshhing down range then WACK hit the boad....I was in awwwh I wanted one ever sence that day but just cant get past the idea of haveing the FBI know all my goings on and the local S-D .....I know I know if you dont have anything to hide whats the prob. I just dont want them to know thats all !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I know if you dont have anything to hide whats the prob. I just dont want them to know thats all !

Uh...Short...they ALREADY know. Trust me on that.

Dan

POTYHC

www.ThereAreNo.SecretsAnymore

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I have seem my file th government keep on me in reguards to tracking, You wouldnt believe the stuff that flags in their wierd world. Heck being a member of a reloading forum is probally on the list of things they flag you for.(looking around suspiciously) Strange aint it?

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Tell me, do you have to have papers on a puffer if its on an AIR rifle ???

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
One of the neatest things about making an obnoxious CAT dissappear is when the missing /reward posters go up in the neighborhood with the little tear off phone number tabs on the bottom of the poster. I like to tear them off as I make the rounds of the grocery stores then call around on a friday night. The west side cat is over here, the eastside cat over there, the cat with the blue collar is squashed by the texaco, the tabby is at the pound, the city animal control got the one with white stockings.,...you get the picture. The hope is that maybe one or two will give up on this CAT keeping thing.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me, do you have to have papers on a puffer if its on an AIR rifle ???

Talking about super quiet... guess you would want to use one of those CO2 guns, I think a spring piston would be about as loud as the air coming out of the barrel.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually most of the noise from my piston type air rifle was from the superheated air exiting the barrel with the pellet. Sort of like the propellant gases behind a bullet. A suppressor would take care of that. The supersonic "crack" from the pellet probably also contributes some, but it is harder to identify and nearly impossible to locate. That's why one old urban sniper trick is to stand back from an open window with a .22 and use long rifle ammo. The room will contain most of the muzzle blast and the crack of that little supersonic projectile is almost impossible to nail down.
My understanding about suppressors is that it is the possession of the suppressor itself that is regulated, regardless of what it is mounted on.

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of getting the Talon I think its call'd, has the air tank as a butstock and shoots a 22 cal pellet at 1200 fps or addjust it down to 600-700 fps.... Better suited for the neighbors that I have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what i use to do to shoot crows in my backyard in town. Just shoot a normal 22 round right when a big loud old car drives by. Well just about anything loud that drives by. "what the hell are you talking about that POS that drove by backfired" Cool

Posts: 68 | Location: Canyon Country CA | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I made a attempt at a silencer when I was young. It was a cylinrrical lawn mower muffler . I cut the threaded in in 4 places and hose clamped it on my 22 barrell. One shot put a hole thru the little disc and then it was really quiet shooting. ( I grew up on a farm and was bored quite often) Anyhow it worked great, but you really need a scope because it makes the sights useless.

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Okay, as far as forensic evidence is concerned, there is not a lap lynx made that would actually stop even the lowly CB long or short. Ribcage shots go through and through, leaving the "evidence" splattered against the dumpster, or whatever backstop you use.

Chances are, Fluffy isn't going straight home, but will hide first, and expire in that place. And if Fluffy makes it home, it just has a hole through it's boiler room. No real "proof" of anything, unless you are stupid.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or unlucky! Eeker derf

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Short44,,The talon ss is the one you want,[12" barrel],it kinda sounds like dropping an empty soda pop can that does'nt bounce.If you're thinking of it with an 18" or 24" barrel,,,you might as well use cb's in the .22rf you probably already have and keep some $$$$$ in your pocket. I bought mine a few years ago,,when they were "reasonably priced",,put the whole 'system' together for what they want for just the rifle today,,Pcp air rifle stuff has went through the roof,,and now that webley has went belly up,,the survivors have no reason to look back on pricing. Anyways,,the talon is one damn accurate piece,,and if you're accustomed to shooting ar-15's,,you'll be right at home,,The safety is a bit cheesey,,but tolerable,,the trigger "adjustment" is 3 notches to raise or lower the trigger to compensate the leverage,,by no means is it remotely close to a record adj. trigger,,but again,,fair and tolerable,,you're not going to pull shots due to a heavy trigger pull,,if you want more info,,send me a pm,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once heard of a guy who used to shoot his neighbor cat using his 45 auto loaded just with primers and paraffin wax as bullets. Its not lethal but if you pop him right when he takes a crap im sure he wont come back

Posts: 45 | Location: Canyon Country, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Not lethal? What is the use of that?

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Easy pg, its that way on the left coast.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not lethal? What is the use of that?

Panzerguy, you remember Oddball? From the movie "Kelly's Heros"? The paint rounds for his tank? They are good for humor at least... jumping sofa

Dan

POTYHC

www.BetYouNeverTriedWaxPelletsInAn.Abrams Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I think I've got the video posting thing figured out........I hope, a couple a guys wanted to hear the difference between a supersonic 223 round and a subsonic 223 round suppressed. The video doesn't do it as much justice as standing there but you get the idea, turn your volume clear up it helps a little. Well here goes...........

Video Sharing at DropShots.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw the video, that's so elite. Is there any way I can accomplish something like that with a bolt action 243?

Posts: 45 | Location: Canyon Country, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
If you're concerned with noise and the possibility of getting caught, there's always ways around that besides popping the critter. A slingshot with a .40 lead ball is quite lethal and from all the feral rabbits I've shot, it's exited every time and I've taken them out to 20 yards before. If all else fails, poison the damn thing!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want one. jumping oh and the silencer is awesome too. gunsmile

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seanyeager:
Just saw the video, that's so elite. Is there any way I can accomplish something like that with a bolt action 243?

I doubt it in KKKalifornication......isn't it illegal to breath there "technically" Wink Anyway I supose you could if you wanted to in a state that they are legal, you'd have to load the 243 down to 1000fps with the heaviest bullet you can find, the 308 is a better canidate. 9mm and 45acp work very well too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going subsonic is quite difficult, results are often surprising: a subsonic 308 round will be very penetrative and ricochet loudly, a subsonic 120gr 9mm HP will stay inside a crat, a .44, 24Ogr HP will stay inside a 40kg boar, a .40, 140gr HP will stay inside a nutria. Make it a Hardcast, all these bullets exit. Everything compiled, the winchester subsonic HP in 22lr may very well be the walhalla of the quiet varmint load. Easy, cheap, so efficient. Killed a crow last wednesday at 161m with it. Bullet exited...