Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Cx4 Storm - 40 S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
I picked up a new Beretta .40 Cx4 Storm this weekend at a local gun-show ... mostly because I really don't need anything else, and I still had a few boxes of .40 S&W in my ammo locker with nothing to shoot 'em.

My wife told me I could get ONE gun at the show, and the final choice came down to a Ruger M77 in .260 Rem, and that Cx4 Storm in .40SW, and well, it was neat and "different" and just looked fun, and the price was right.

So anyway, I picked up this little Cx4 Storm carbine and I thought it was pretty neat. However, my wife was with me and wanted a justification of *WHY* I wanted one, and why I wanted *it* over the M77 since she didn't like how the Cx4 looked... and since I've been talking to her about doing some Bobcat / Coyote hunting, I told her I could use it for that.

Now then, what's the popular opinion here?

With a decent electronic bobcat call, and maybe a red-dot sight, this 16.5" BBL .40 SW would be decent for a 35 - 50 lb bobcat, right? I figured that it probably wouldn't cause as much pelt damage as a .260 REM if I wanted to mount one.

It's pretty neat overall... light, quick, fun, even pleasant to shoot - I just have to resist the temptation now to trick it out with all those rail-attachments.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
my wife was with me

I got mine to go to a gun show once.She won't go again. clap
I have a friend who bought a Storm.He just lets it bounce around in the truck.It shoots first time everytime.Great truck gun.
I don't see why this wouldn't be a good caliber for Bobcat.
Keep us posted.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
135 gr nosler and 8 gr of universal will absolutly scream out of that thing i get 1400 from a 4 in glock

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
What do you think of something like a .40SW Golden Sabre for bobcats?

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
golden sabres are great. Just don't forget that there are other things beside bobcats. Siamese, angoras, etc.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I don't have access to a chronograph, but the 165 gr Golden Sabre's on Remington's site (http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/pr/results.asp?cal=14)

show a muzzle velocity of 1150 fps and 964 fps from a 4" BBL.

If I'm going with a 16.5" BBL I expect I'll do better, but I'm not sure by how much, possibly around 1300 - 1500 fps possibly? As fast as that powder burns I don't think I'll see any tremendous increases, but if some of you are more mathematically inclined or have ballistics software and feel like working out estimates, that's cool.

At 1150 fps and 165 gr Remington is showing a ME of around 485 ft/lbs down to 340 at 100 yds with a 4" drop, so that ought to be plenty good for any 'cat or coyote I've seen around these parts.

Bushnell's got a new holosight XLP (eXtra Low Profile) that should mount onto this Storm nicely and let me co-witness with the iron-sights - or that's my hope at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubletap ammo makes some hypervelocity rounds that appear to look like a stack of coins in a resin matrix. I think they would be extremely effective against game as soft as lap leopard or lawn lynx.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I had put a first generation HoloSight on the FAL (110gr HP for little critters) and liked it.

I think the storm is a fine choice for close-up kitty and home invasion work. I will get the .45 if it can be modified to eat from SIG mags.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it will do the trick. FWIW, I'd think that somewhere in the 1500-1800 fps range would be viable. That velocity and HPs will do the hide not a shred of good. Pun intended. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.TheyAllWork.UpClose

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Ben you are absolutely right. It could be used for bobcat/coyoue hunting. No doubt about it. The other uses are sort of a bonus.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NS, day at the range coming up next week I hope, will give a full report on the wonderful bullets you sent last year...as the Gulf was threatened by Charley, Ivan, Francis, Jeanne....don't need any more bullets at the moment, thanks anyway. roflmao

Also, been poking around here a bit, think I'm going to pick one of these up for a Feb/March project. Haven't decided which at the moment, but am sure any of them would suffice for the averag worm infested birman.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.WinchestersRigbys.BlanchesAndTheSwampThing

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote