New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted
Just to break things up a bit,,Lots of people ask about the .223,,But then a lot of people ask about much older rounds,,I know first hand those rounds are still supersonic @ 600 yds,,at least they're louder than hell when they pass at that distance,passing a few feet overhead,,a dude in the varmit forum was gawking at a guy talking of kills @600 from a .223,,I don't find this surprising,Not to brag,but have made many bulls at that distance with irons,,burning 75 grn. projectiles,,and a good few chucks to boot.Starting to hear about people loosing coyote with the .17,,Whats your take?Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay i think that losing Coyotes to 17's is a range factor. The little pill will not do enough damage at lower velocities or on soft tissue strikes.
I ran into a similiar problem many years ago when i traded my 22-250 on a 222. I was blowing up pelts pretty bad with the 22-250 and not enjoying the muzzle jump and blast or the extra powder costs.
I found myself taking some long shots (3-4 hundred yards) with the triple deuce and sometimes losing my quarry due to lack of expansion/damage at the lower velocity.

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Hound on that. Keep a .17 inside of 200 yards and you'll do okay from what I've read. I don't give a hoot about fur so all of my V-guns are turbo charged. If you're not a fur hunter there is no point in CF .17's...and I'm NOT. Cut 'em in half and let 'em lay, that's my motto.

Long live the magical .257 Roberts!
Hold less into the wind!
Long live Oberndorf Waffenfabrik!

Digital Dan

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I'm no fur-hunter, but I'm not opposed to an occasional mount if it's a pretty coyote or bobcat.

I've never used, or even held, a .17 nor had any real desire for one.

I've lost a coyote with a .300 mag though, shot him at about 25 yards, and I thought I hit him pretty well. I watched him go down and thrash about for a bit in some thick grass, even yelp and at that range I could hear him make gurgling snarls while he was breathing. He was in high grass and I couldn't see him, but I listened to him a minute or so until another coyote crested a hill about 150 yards out.

I shot the second coyote too, and he fell in a heap, so I went to get him and investigate, figuring the first one was a done-deal. After I got to the second one and drug him back to my stand, I went to collect the first one, but he was nowhere to be found. I found a pool of blood and the start of it off into some brush, but it just wasn't worth my time to dig through the brush pile.

He was probably in there, and I could very likely have gotten him, but I just didn't bother with it. I figure he died in there, but I can't be sure.

Since deer season came in this year I've shot 5 coyotes with that .300, and all but 1 have "ceased to be" right in their tracks.

I'm with Dan on this one. When I say "down boy", I want to mean it.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The fur market crashed bad in the late eighties, but before that i was getting 100+ bucks a pelt and picking up a dozen a weekend in the prime season so.... Wink

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've whacked lots of coyotes for the fur market.The 17 Remington is the fur gun,use 25 grain Bergers.I called and shot 23 coyotes in 2 days this year,all with the .17.No losses,no big holes.I averaged $38.00 apiece put up.I used to use the .223 with 60 grain Hornady's,not V-Maxs.This is a good coyote combo,not as good as the .17 though.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the room Kickback!! As to the .17,,it was the .17 hmr I was referring to,,not the venerable .17 rem.My mistake,,Have Fun,,And kill'em all!!!!!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote