New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 VV, pics you asked for...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

The lighting leaves something to be desired. .22 short round atop receiver, leaning against Millett sight, box of ammo to left for scale. Just put the Millet on top, don't expect any significant change in accuracy though it is now 6 ounces lighter.

Picture above for closer view of SP-1.

That's my 1/2" short shooter. If you should decide to replicate this, after you get your receiver go to Bullberry or JD Jones(SSK) for you barrel. I have little good to say about Thompson Center's FoxRidge Custom Shop.

Dan

POTYHC

www.SmallGame.Nightmare

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Thats sweet DD. I have that red dot on my 44 and it works great.

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping
Dan,
I am truly jealous. I am in the market for a reciver right now. I think I will get a couple wildcat barrels an one of those sweet little crat barrwls you have. Thanks a million. -Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that barrel chambered for 22 short?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed. It groups consistantly 1/2" at 50 yards with CCI CB Shorts or CCI HVHP ammo, the latter printing about 1" higher, centered. I generally used that sight in for all applications in the past, however, since installing the Millett I'll probably amend that to suit my new surroundings and shorter shooting distances. 95% of everything I've shot since moving here to Y'town has been within 50'. It has been the Lizard's friend, providing them with copious quantities of protein in the form of 'coons, possum, squill etc. I've not tapped a crat with it since moving down, those honors falling to Mr. Blanch and my friend Bob. Up in Georgia it had a dark reputation amongst the Lawn Lion population, but there were more opportunities there than here. Neighborhood 'yotes and fox see to that...and Big Al...rest his soul. Or is that sole? Confused Only the boot factory knows for sure.

Dan

POTYHC

www.BrainShotsR.Us

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a thing of beauty in form and function.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DD,
Pardon me for asking, but is that a 22lr match chambering? If so, I take it that you don't have any problem shooting shorts from it? I have a 10" 22 match barrel but I haven't shot shorts through it. I was thinking they might be bad for the chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it is chambered for shorts. I cannot shoot LR's in my chamber, but you may shoot shorts in your barrel...they may or may not be as accurate as LR ammo, likely not. If you do not clean your barrel after firing shorts they will screw up your chamber in time...powder residue accumulates at the case mouth, corrosion will follow after some time. Depends to some degree on you climate I hear.

Dan

POTYHC

www.JustTheShortsSir.OnlyTheShorts

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get that barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fox Ridge, T/C's Custom shop. FWIW, I suggest you re-read my comment to .223 V-V regarding the duplication of this gun and who to deal with. It ain't Fox Ridge.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
D D i have to agree with you on TC's barrels .
After I went several rounds of returning a 35 Rem barrel that would not group less that 12" at 100 yds .

I ordered a Bullberry and am pleased .

A fine looking krat getter you have there .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo. I ordered two barrels from them at the same time, the other a .30-30. Both shoot well enough but the chamber cuts are the pits. I cannot reload the .30-30 due to an oversized chamber(.30-30 Almost Improved Frowner), which will give you a case head separation on the second firing, even if only neck sized. It is NOT a headspace issue, the chamber dimensions are simply too large, and the difference between unfired and fired brass is...remarkable. The .22 Short chamber is sloppy as well, even though they advertise it as a "match" chamber. The leade(there ain't one) is not beveled either, a coarse threshold appearing to be 90*, or something nearly as abrupt, in transition from chamber to rifling. How it shoots so well is a mystery to me. bewildered

Dan

POTYHC

www.TheyGotTheLastDime.TheyWillSeeFromMe

one of us
posted Hide Post
DD,
What barrel configuration do you have? Is it bull or tapered? How long?
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max, I dunno. It's long enough for a rifle stock to be legal. Never shot any bulls with it but it comes up during bull sessions a lot. Confused What I'd do is put your calipers on the box of CCI ammo, find out how long they are in real life and use the ratio for computing scale. It'll work out close enough...figure a 11.4* aspect on the pic, haul out the ol' high school trig book, the sine/cosine BS. I've got onset alzheimers, can't remember if my first name is Dan or Digital at the moment. Confused You live out in Colorado by any chance?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Illinois