Find
Notify
Tools

Close combat!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted
Here is a lot of talk about long range shooting, or silent shooting or traps, but what about close combat?

I will take the opportunity to share my experience of a charging lounge puma. Some years ago, I was walking my pointer pup about a kilometre from where I live. It was a warm summer evening. We were walking past a large house with a hedge and as we passed the driveway, I saw a crat crouching behind a bush; a red, striped one. We had just passed the gates when the little bugger made an attack on my innocent puppy, from behind. My dog jumped sideways and since it was a young pup I felt it my duty to defend it. Apparently the crat did not regard me as any danger, so I got a good kick with my heavy walking shoe, hitting the crat square in the ribs, and sending it into the hedge. But at that moment, out of the hedge came crat number two, a black and white one, making it for my dog as well. I aimed for a second hit, but this time the crat know what was in store for him and met me with all the claws of the fore paws, taking a god grab of my ankle. It did not feel like massage I can tell you. The crat quickly let its hold and disappeared into the hedge as well, and I did not feel inclined to stay any longer either. I did not fancy meeting neither the crats nor their owner, had the latter seen my treatment of the red one. The size and number of the BMWs on the driveway indicated that the owner was a resourceful man. When I came home, my sock was soaked in blood, I still have the scar to prove it. It was the last time I walked that street, but I sent a mail to a friend with a charmingly savage German jagd-terrier, asking him to walk the street and offering a bottle of whisky for each of the crats, could he show their tails as evidence. No taking, unfortunately.

So what is your experience of being charged by field lions?

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I carry Pepper spray for the nonshooting close combat times .

I have treated several cats hemroids with a touch of pepper spray .
Non has stayed around for a second treatment.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what is your experience of being charged by field lions?

I made the mistake of 'volunteering' (single horny guy gets asked by sweet girl kinda thing) to take one to the vet for a shot...no not that shot, unfortunately, just the knock-em-out-for-neutering shot.

The damn thing went nuts on me, bit my arm, and started the side2side ripping motion with its head trying to take a chunk out of my arm! Thank goodness they don't have ripping teeth...just puncturing ones. It was a good 15-20 second fight, complete with yelling, squalling, clawing, biting, and blood..all mine unfortunately.

I got the scars still too! And the girl ended up as my wife...so I guess it was worth it.

I did end up with one funny memory...when I unlatched the crat and threw it up on a shlf across the room, the vet (all from a VERY respectful distance) tossed a towel over it and stood at arms length, lunging in to try a quick poke with the needle and jumping back before getting the same treatment I got. 50+ year old vet, plumb skeered of a 12 lb crat! It's much funnier now...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been stalked, but never charged. A little tension but no primal scream. Frowner Once I shooed one of a chair it thought it owned and got a fist full of claws and a nasty hiss for my trouble. The owner were out of the room and Miss Kitty got a sharp spanking. Sort of a Mike Tyson kind of spanking. It always left the room when I visited my dear friend after that, the chair nice and warm for me. He thought it odd how the crat gave me the chair, only me. bewildered I told him it was because the crat and I understood each other. WinkThen he would regale me with Tails from the Nuremburg War Trials, an event in which he was a central player. The crat would glare at me from a dark corner, ever fearful of THE FIST, and THE SHOE, a devastating one-two combination. Red Face

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.TheFinest.Generation

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
My walking stick is an old cross-country skii pole. They have very sharp tips and leave little puncture wounds in errant cats and the few POS type dogs. there is one Rottwieler that runs and hides when it sees me. Got it in the nuts with the skii pole last year. The owner won't keep it on a leash. I have no qualms about defending myself on a public sidewalk.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a suppressed MP5. I dont think you will need Plus P bullets but you never know. 2 to the body and a least one to the head.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my youth I had the nasty experiance of having caught a feral cat in a rabbit trap ! Whilst Checking my traps I found a trap which was right down the warren on pulling it out!I realised to late that it was a cat & not a Rabbit I to waer the scares of that encounter! But to top it Off this week I had A run in with a camel that ended with me with broken ribs & what I would call a close encounter of having to shoot the damn thing whilst laying on the ground with it trying to despatch me at a range of about 2'!I think it would be classed as close quarter combat!An entry wound through the under side of the chest & powder burns on t Eeker mgun he pelt

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D.O.K. ,
Pretty keen to have a go at a camel myself sometime , preferably from further away than 2 feet . Read somewhere that bulls get a bit feisty in mating season and can be quite dangerous . Apparently like to squash the living sh-t out of you under their brisket if they get the chance .
A .22 behind the ear might be good insurance in future ?
What calibre are you using currently and where are you shooting them ? Selling them for pet meat ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my old faithfull .303c on em more due to mag capacity than any thing !Your quite right in the fact that they like to crush you unber the Brisket ! It's quite funny how you never really notice how well developed it is until it's about! to drop down on you!

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....303 seem perfectly adequate, but how DO you get a 600 pound camel off your chest??

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trick is as I found out very quickly is to shoot & roll.Very quickly! Thus avoiding any futher embarressing & fatal injuries!Other things to avoid are the mistake of assuming that the opposition is truley Dead!(when in doubt give it another shot)Do not be complasiant & approach from the belly side Instead of from the back (from the back stops you from getting kicked as it struggles to get up after doing a lazeris & returning from the dead)& of course Work with an Offsider (so you do'nt have to drive 100miles across country to get medical) attention

One of Us
posted Hide Post
derf Funny, I have never been faced with a charge or even a good staring match with a feline. I suppose that they recogize a higher for of preditor when they meet one. gunsmile Even the Lynx and the last 2 Black Bears I met while out playing didn't want anything to do with me. Or maybe it is just my breath, you think! Confused

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've told the story before, but there are new members on the list, so here goes. We once lived on the farm, and we'd be "visited" on our enclosed porch, by a magnificent sized Tom. He was gray, and always seemed to get on the porch when either small children were present or watching, or when I did not have a firearm handy. So, I set a firearm to where it was handy, and of course, the Tom accidently got between me and the firearm, so I unconsciously grabbed el hugo gato behind the neck. Big mistake. He instantly turned on me. After my first bloodletting, I managed to get his head and one of my hands beneath my knee, and the other end and my other hand beneath the other knee. To add to it, he was occasionally able to get a paw, complete with claws free in order to rake me on the inside of the thighs and crotch area. Now, he was easily a 20-30 pound feral Tom cat in his prime, and I was starting to tire rapidly from the awkward position plus loss of blood. I attempted to release him once, but it was no longer about him getting away, but rather getting me. To make a long story short, my 8 year old came out and startled him, which allowed me to let him go.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
120mm, I recall that tail...still having flashbacks about it. Eeker Reminds me of the day I was doing the VR southwest of Khe Sahn and came upon a bunch of gomers wokking their crats. Wanted to stop in for lunch but since one of them(crat) had a gomer(NVA) by the balls I thought it best to take a rain check. Anyway, that was back when "winning their hearts and minds" had been changed to "If you have 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." I made an immediate Sitrep to Troop Ops...they prescribed Jack Daniels and ginger at the Scabbard Pad Bar-n-grill. clap

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.DewDrop.In

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
My walking stick is an old cross-country skii pole. They have very sharp tips and leave little puncture wounds in errant cats and the few POS type dogs. there is one Rottwieler that runs and hides when it sees me. Got it in the nuts with the skii pole last year. The owner won't keep it on a leash. I have no qualms about defending myself on a public sidewalk.

I use a Cain due to bad a nee I have got to get one of your walking sticks.

We used to have a cat (several cats ago the wife will never learn, or me I guess) I was petting the cat and it decided to take a bite out of my hand I grabbed it with the other hand by the head and I bit down on its neck. The cat was hissing my hand was bleeding but I finely won the biting match. When it let go it took a flying lesson across the room. The cat never did try to bite me again I wonder why. Big Grin

Now I know why cats have fur balls it took a while to spit out all of the cat hair. Would I do it again? You bet.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
My walking stick is an old cross-country skii pole. They have very sharp tips and leave little puncture wounds in errant cats and the few POS type dogs. there is one Rottwieler that runs and hides when it sees me. Got it in the nuts with the skii pole last year. The owner won't keep it on a leash.
I have no qualms about defending myself on a public sidewalk.

Nor should you need to. I read an interesting story on how Iver Johnson came to making firearms.

It seems that years ago, animals were at least as fond of chasing bicycles than they are now. Bicycles were a fairly new phenomenon 80 years ago and animals were more easily spooked by bikes in days gone by.

Someone at Iver Johnson came up with the idea to start making and selling cheap, small caliber revolvers in their bike shops to ward off dogs (and two-legged vermin) from their customers while they were riding bikes. Talk about related sales.
“Would you like a gun to go with that bike, sir?â€
That’s my kind of bike shop… thumb

So next time you get caught blasting (or skewering) some poor bastards non tethered animal, tell him Iver Johnson made me do it!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote