New
Find
Notify
Tools

A small victory...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mr. Blanch finally submitted to Yankee determination today. You may recall that the blade sight was slightly offset causing shots to err to the right about 1.5-2" at 50 yards.

Well, there was a bit of rust under the table and the old man would not give in to my gentle proddings...and Kroil. I suppose that rust spanning centurieS may be recalitrant. I continued gently, kept applying Kroil, and then....AND THEN...I call the 'smith I bought it from.

Admitting before you all that I'm a bit anal about such flaws, I will also say I'm just as determined to avoid damage as I am in having it correct. It seemed conflicted...I considered all number of follies...heat, cold, both...voodoo... Well, my hats off to David Yale, purveyor of fine old guns and the finest black magic! Sez David to me, "Dan, just lock it up in padded vice jaws and whack it with a brass drift the wrong way. Then whack it the right way." WTF!? Confused Well, that didn't make a damn bit of sense to me, but hey, compared to David in Yellow Jacket, CO., I know less that CHITT(OK) about fine old guns. bewildered

So this AM, in a fit of blind determination, I set about solving this delimma. Padded jaws closed on Blanch's snout, the drift was filed a bit more to match the shorter contour of the WRONG side of the table...suggested to the patron saint of all machinists that they were mildly insane, and gave it a whack! Eeker The WRONG way. Red Face

My drift settled upon the left ledge of the sight table that overhangs the barrel flats, the brass hammer muttered something that sounded like, "I'm gonna bust your Limey arse!"...ker-whack! VIOLA! IT MOVED! In the right direction! One more tap/whack(not so hard, but it would still cost you a thumbnail) and it was centered on the old index mark...did not required being re-staked...

I am quite pleased...and I know without a shadow of doubt the old man will plop 'em into the X-ring now...oh boy oh boy oh boy! My CB Shorts might be starting down the path of verdigris and corrosion, ignored for all time... Cool Well, not really, but I gotta a lifetime supply now. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

http://www.SometimesYaJustGotta.Believe!

Some would suggest this belongs in the Gunsmith Forum, but I say no. ANYBODY can read that stuff. Only the wise and introspective haunt this place, and if ya want my secrets ya gotta come to my playground. Wink

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
DD , thanks for the input.
I too call a neighborhood 'smith just to hear him try to stiffle a laugh.I try not to tell him my problem if I know he is sipping coffee.
Sometimes his better half picks up the phone to tell me Johnny will call me back,as soon as he can catch his breath and change into dry drawers.
I go to his shop every now and then to have him undo my precision 'smitty work I have performed in my 'Special Olympics' way.I am not at all embarrassed if he is the only human there(his dog could care less)but I am usually ill at ease if other gun guys are there.
I used to believe that these people that snickered behind my back were other customers that had brought Johnny their special re-doos.But I come to find out that My Buddy Roll Eyes Johnny calls these guys up right after I call him and tell him I am coming by.
I suppose he charges them a Cover Charge for the merriment I bring to their otherwise dull lives.For he never charges me for his services.Maybe this would come under 'entertainment purposes only'.
No one told me that I couldn't 'Stone Down' a disconnect/sear onna benchgrinder.Sheesh.Who knew? bewildered

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have seen the look on my 'smith's face when I walked in carrying a Ruger action with a 32" cleaning rod sticking out of the back end-and I now know from experience that a .30 cal jag won't pass through a .257 bore.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to get along right well with my gunsmith until his wife badgered him into giving it up to support her photography business! Mad Frowner I recall fondly the time I took him a small packet of "Genuine Okanagan Rattlesnake Eggs". He liked them so much he used to leave them out where his other customers could sneak a peek and enjoy them too. Big Grin God I do miss him sometimes, but I won't knowingly associate with vegetarians! Derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote