Notify
Tools

I've noticed that...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! jumping

That has to be posted somewhere for posterity. It is too good to be lost!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is with substantial grief I post the departure of 120mm as well. In the midst of the Birman Caper it seems he got swept up and cast out with the rest of the debris.

It turns out that Mr. XO was right under my nose all this time. In the same building, as it were...it seems that I forwarded a few links to our fun to a co-worker and he/she/it joined the fray.

Well, the XO account is now suspended too.

It's true, apparently Don did kill XO. RIP!

BTW, I feel VERY certain that 120mm, XO, Birman, and DIH were not all the same person...and were not all killed by deleting the same IP address. Some light please Don??? It sure looks a bit heavy handed from this corner...(and apparently DL was spared!)

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Bravo D. Dan. I knew the finer points of language would tell the story. But I wonder, Would a politely typed "Pluck yew!" get a forum participant decimated? Decimation is sheer joss. Will other topic participants understand the derrivation and use? Could an acknowledged "plucker" curry favor with the powers that be? Is plucker an acceptable short form? What of a dumb plucker? My, my, What The Pluck? SNAPU or PUBAR too? Gotto go spread enlightenment: I think I know a couple of lowlife leeberal forums I can pluck with for a while. N.S.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Dan, I rise my hat for that post!
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmorotflmo

Just a point, the feathers on the arrows were geese if I am not totally mistaken... sofa

Regards,
Marterius

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is with substantial grief I post the departure of 120mm as well. In the midst of the Birman Caper it seems he got swept up and cast out with the rest of the debris.

I don't think he did, his other threads are still there... bewildered

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
DD,

jumping lol

OMG, I think I hurt myself!!!

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Pluck, you guys got a better sense of humor than the FAA. thumb

FWIW, I can assure you that 120mm stood alone from all the other souls that were washed overboard. When he was plying his craft up in Lake City he came down and joined the Missus and me for burned grouper...helluva fine guy IMO, and it ain't humble on that judgement.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Bureauocracy.Insurgent

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
And damned fine grouper it was. I peed myself over that letter, Dan. And thanks for the words. Interesting how that IP address thing works, once you get the hang of it....

beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well bless my pea pickin' heart! rotflmo The South may yet rise again! jumping

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Scoobie.DoobieDoo

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Well, the unreconstructed part anyway!

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
http://www.comedycorner.org/45.html
The 'Car Talk' show (on NPR) with Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers have a feature called the 'Puzzler', and their most recent 'Puzzler' was about the Battle of Agincourt. The French, who were overwhelmingly favored to win the battle, threatened to cut a certain body part off of all captured English soldiers so that they could never fight again. The English won in a major upset and waved the body part in question at the French in defiance.

The puzzler was: What was this body part?

This is the answer submitted by a listener:

Dear Click and Clack,

Thank you for the Agincourt 'Puzzler', which clears up some profound questions of etymology, folklore and emotional symbolism. The body partwhich the French proposed to cut off of the English after defeating them was, of course, the middle finger, without which it is impossible to draw the renowned English longbow. This famous weapon was made of the native English yew tree, and so the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking yew". Thus, when the victorious English waved their middle fingers at the defeated French, they said, "See, we can still pluck yew!

"PLUCK YEW!"

Over the years some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like "pleasant mother pheasant plucker", which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'f', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

And yew all thought yew knew everything!

Contributed by: Carson Bloomberg

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote