New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boys, I been to the mountain!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

A small slice of paradise so far as I can tell.

Looks like there may not be too many crats here though. It ain't pussy country far as I can tell.

Whaddya think?

Dan

POTYHC

www.HaveILostMy.Mind?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I could live there!

I bet there are plenty of other small furry creatures to make up for the lack of crats. Besides, you could high fence it and make your own trophy crat ranch! gunsmile

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
CDH: you could high fence it and make your own trophy crat ranch

Yes, you could get breeding pairs cheap at the local shelter. Doesn't look like Florida, in fact it looks cold! Oh well, the "mountain" will make a good backstop.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHEE-IT, that just a molehill old son. In the old days you wouldn'ta even give much more than a wrist-twitch of collective to hop over that little bump in the bush!
SO, how close to here did 3100 miles get you? Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well derf, I'll grant it's not a mountain by your standards but....trust me on this, there's plenty of hairpins on the byways where you would have plenty of time to lament your inept driving skills on the way down. Big Grin Yeah, I flew over nastier ups and downs on the other side of the planet but it didn't snow there. Frowner

If I'd done 3100 miles straight we'd be talkin' about this over a drink or two...Missouri is as far as I got. And Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia. Met up with our old friend Yotes, Inc. for lunch one day. Good guy without a doubt! thumb

Anyway, it'll do I guess. Centrally located compared to the Windy State, no hurricanes, and a lot of other things missin' that I won't miss. They claim to have a lot of bobcats in the area...and yotes. Sounds like Bob country to me...

Dan

POTYHC

www.MightHaveToChange.Committees

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The stream is nice, what we call "live water" here. "Live water" in the central Texas hill country will cost you BIG bucks nowadays if you can find it for sale at all, many thousands per acre.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
DD,

How many acres for your new Crat ranch? Is there
enough water flow to provide you with a pond for
Bob? Be careful, there might be a few Yankees
living around there. But that's ok, Bob can handle a few extra calories.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it ain't quite my "new Crat ranch" yet. Gotta do the old rabbit from the hat trick on that....but it's 200 acres. Two spring creeks, a low pasture of about 20 acres and another with about 15 or so. One rock face canyon(smallish) and enough slope on the hill to slow me down after the third coronary. Big Grin It only needs three things IMO. A house, a bench on the firing line and us. Its in Booger County BTW. Well, that's the local name for it....takes a couple of days by buckboard to get to Springfield.

This is the future location of Wehowoopkapakahopilegia. Translated it means "Lake of the BBQ Crat Massacre".

Dan

POTYHC

www.Yeah.TheyCallItLiveWaterThereToo

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
DD,

I hope that you pour enough concrete slabs for
a few RV's so a person can visit on his way to
Georgia. Your place has got to be a better
stop over than Branson. They sell Rebel Yell
whisky in the state of Misery?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That place and the pics look a lot like where I grew up north of North Dakota. Manitoba, Winterpeg to be more precise! The area looks like good cover for Turkey,Grouse, Pheasent, Quail, Deer, Crats of various types and HOGS! It looks like a right fine piece of property to retire into! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
derf, dunno about grouse...the quail population is a little stressed due to widespread use of fescue for pasture grass. Got all the others covered in spades. Yep, I'm ready to retire again. Wink Might make a habit out of it actually, it's working out really well so far.

OEH, Branson is a bit funny fer sure. What I'll say about it is this: Lotta pretty hard tails runnin' around there, the restaurant food is A-1 good, and they got some problems with signs. There's this tee intersection on the NW side of town, was gonna be a 4-way but they ran out of money or something...signs on the far side of the intersection say "Road Closed"...hanging on a rock wall about 10' tall. Eeker I thought "Surprise!" would have been more appropriate but I don't think like they do....I'm certain. Wink The property is a another couple of days or three outside of Branson(by buckboard)...won't need a concrete slab for your RV in the lower pasture, and you probably won't make it down to GA if you stop by. Place kinda hypnotizes you...

Dan

POTYHC

www.AFoolAndHis.Money

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Dan, guess getting so many 'canes in a couple of years, reached your limit.

I was wondering, bewildereddo you have your custom pet carrier yet? You know, the 8' one for Li'l Bob. jumping

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
A man could get into serious trouble with a setup like that.

No pesky neighbors, or police officers to say, "NO! Baaad!" Big Grin

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer...I'm guessing that Li'l Bob just wouldn't fit in up there, but I'm givin' some consideration to droppin' him off in the Ocoee River over there in eastern TN just so's he'll be close. Plenty of yuppie kayak food there in the year round. thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.MightHaveTa.BlastSomeStumps

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dan, ever heard of "Tanarite"?(sp)

bang-BOOM-splinters

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, heard of ANFO though. If all else fails there's always Special and a Past shoulder pad.

Dan

POTYHC

www.I.LikeToothpicks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-would be interested in your "management plan" for crats to keep a steady supply of targets since your neighbors are gonna be a bit far off. Something like a sign reading "Drop Unwanted Crats/Krittens here" along the road?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, something in white washed sandbags, visible from the air: " DROP ALL CRATS HERE FROM NO LESS THAN 5000' AGL" An Equal Opportunity drop zone.

Dan

POTYHC

www.X.MarksTheSpot

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Clean live water,a pasture for corn,150 lbs. of sugar,some copper tubing and a nice kettle.Yum Yum.
All that hardwood, a man could 'Cooper' for a hobby.
All set.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Nope, heard of ANFO though. If all else fails there's always Special and a Past shoulder pad.

Sadly, Ammonium Nitrate is no longer made in this country. BATFE "requested" the last manufacturer to close their plant for obvious reasons.
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
Clean live water,a pasture for corn,150 lbs. of sugar,some copper tubing and a nice kettle.Yum Yum.
All that hardwood, a man could 'Cooper' for a hobby.
All set.

You're thinking last century. Think Stainless steel beer keg, jet burner, rectifying column and 55 gallon stainless steel drums for fermenters.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DigitalDan:

Dan

Try this on for size guys! Drill a hole bunch of holes in the offending stump and pour Nitric acid into the holes. Leave it sit until all of the acid has disappeared, like say 48 hours. Viola, the stump is now mostly Nitro-cellulose(guncotton). I will leave it you all as to how you want to get rid of the stuff! Big Grin derf

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ammonium Nitrate is no longer made in this country

I have a few friends that own small farms 'round here.
A few still have bags of this stuff stacked to the ceilings in their barns.They use it for FERTILIZER.Imagine that.
You can still get 'Prima-Cord' around the strip mines.
We know better than to play with this stuff.

I'm still havin' fun w/foil balls in a 2 litre Pepsi bottle with a lil' drain opener in it.

I wonder how effective this bottle would be in a Hav-A-Hart with a crat in the cage?

Stainless is used by a few of the high end bootleggers entrepreneurs.There stuff pales beside some of the old timers that cook with hardwoods and copper.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WOW. I am partial to the intermountain regions of the west, but I can see the possibilities....that's a doable. Property taxes ok? Quail habitat can be restored. Whut's the Missus D think? Lotsa sqrrls? Lawndart and I could stop by and help ya clear some brush, make ourselves useful visitors for a couple days if you were so inclined. Hope it's a go for you!

Lois

you can't cure stupid

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
Stainless is used by a few of the high end bootleggers entrepreneurs.There stuff pales beside some of the old timers that cook with hardwoods and copper.

Actually, most of the bootleggers left these days are doing it large scale production. What I suggested is a favorite method of the DIY distiller crowd. All you have to do is remove the valve from the keg, and clamp the distilling column on. linky Places like Cole Palmer sell 55 gallon SS drums for about $700.

HTRN

Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
dd
i know i would love a piece like that. country like that goes for a pretty penny up here like half mill or more. jump on it if you can stomach a mite cooler weather and not havin bob around for evidence disposal.

Posts: 21 | Location: bc michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I like hill country, looking at some of my own.

I thought you need Sulfuric acid with the nitric...could be faulty liturature on my part....

Hydrogen/oxygen is a great noise maker and only needs spark, i don't know just how potent it is for stumps but making it by electrolysis gives you the perfect ratio.

If you want to go legit, drilling a hole and adding a good oxidizer would be fine to burn the stumps out.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote