New
Find
Notify
Tools

The toughest cat I ever shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a black cat on our farm that aways seemed to have either a quail in its mouth or spooked the deer I hunted.I knew that my retarded aunt always brought frickin cats to our farm to dump off.My grandfather use to dump scas full of kittens in the river to feed the catfish.Any way I finally saw that frickin black cat by our farm house so I decided to shoot it.I have my 338 win mag with 200 gr power points.This load has hout 3900 ft pounds of energyat 2950 fps.I poped the cat in the middle of the chest.I use this shot alot on deer scence I dont have to wait for perfict broad side shots on deer.I shot the cat and it flew about 10 feet backward flipping.I then went to see if there was anything left of the cat.I finally found it.The cat was split in half end to end.I said now its a good cat.I just about walked away when I saw it crawling .I didnt want to shoot another 338 round at it so I got my 22 pistol.I had it loaded with cci stingers.I shot the cat 5 times.It still wiggles.I then had to get a big stick and wack it in the head.Finally I have to bury the cat.I dug a hole and put the cat in.He breathed again so I wacked his head with the shovel.He had used his nine lives and was to get no more quail or spook any more deer.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just about walked away when I saw it crawling

See there. shameYou went in a little under-gunned. shame
This is why one of our Senior members here on SGF went out and got him a .416 Rigby.
I too got tired of having to beat puree the crats with a splitting maul.
See my new crat blaster elsewhere on this Forum.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you know what Poe went thru before he pinned "The Black Cat".

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.TryLightingTheir.Fuse

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
Poletax,

I need some clarification. When you say tired do you mean physically tired or bored tired? Pounding crats with a splitting maul does sound physically tiring, but it also sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon.jmo.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all a matter of bullet placement ! I shot a cat about 40 yds out in a field ,could hardly see him. Went to find him and he hadn't moved .Definately feral with long thick black fur. I looked for the hole since I wasn't sure where I hit him . I looked and looked but no hole from the 45 acp HP. Finally above the spine the bullet had shaved a 1/4 " x1 1/2" area and the impact on the spine killed it !!

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Some are as hard to kill as Dracula. One of the toughest cats I ever had to deal with took a 46 grain 22 caliber winchester hp that blew of his front paw, and one that blew his lights out his ribs, and it still survived a forty foot drop out of a tree for about 7 seconds after impact. And that was after I shot it twice with '06 light ball before it went up the tree. N.S.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 338 split the cat from end to end.I mean from head to tail.It looked like the ones in biology on the boards.I could see all his pieces of lungs and heart.My friend who just passed reciently use to trap cats with live traps.He then poped them in the ear with cb caps.I think the car did not have enough resistance for the 338 bullet to expand any.I think the hydro shock of the 338 poped the cat.He was just using up his 9 lives.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
My last residence had a 3/4 acre pond about 100 yds from the north facing kitchen window. We kept ducks for a couple of years and in the winter they would keep a small hole open on the lake.
It was my habit to take a bucket of corn to the ducks every morning and scatter it on the ice. This gave me the opportunity to practice shooting crows from the kitchen window with a .243.
One day I noticed one of the many cats my soon to be ex was so fond of collecting wandering across the ice.
I waited till the cat was at the edge of the pond and let a 100 gr powerpoint go down range.
When I went to hide ..er.. recover the carcass it was nowhere to be seen. Fur and a little blood was in evidence, but no cat.
After inspecting the surrounding area I discovered disturbed snow about 10 feet on the other side of the dam with cat tracks leading toward the machine shed.
The cat reappeared about a week later with an ugly quarter size scab on its right shoulder.
Deer rounds are not the most effective thing for cats.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swamp fox, dgr416 I have found that the larger cartridges do not do a great job on crats unless you shoot em with lite varmint style bullets at hyper velocity then they tend to vaporize leaving only an empty carcass with no inards. Looks kinda cool to walk up on a crat shell with only legs, head and a tail. The rest is scattered behind it for 30 feet! clap

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I've shot my share of cats and have never seen a 100 gr powerpoint not penetrate except that once.

I was baffeled.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote