Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K-22 strikes again
 Login/Join

posted
Was coming back from Cooke City (MT)with a load of lumber and small cabin logs. Decided to stop along the river to let the dogs run and try to catch a trout. The aspens were in nice color, and the smell of fall was in the air at that elevation. Fresh snow on the surrounding mountain peaks was a nice backdrop to the river and forest. The fish weren't biting, and a snag in the middle of the river stole one of my spinners. The dogs were having a great time jumping squirrels and grouse out in the woods. Quickly grasping the fact that fishing was never my strong point, and I was not getting any better at it, I took the pole back to the truck and brought out the Smith K-22. Loading it up with CB's and a few short hollow points (one of my dogs is a bit gunshy) I went for a walk with the dogs again. They quickly figured out that the pop sound was followed by a squirrel or grouse falling out if the tree at their feet. We came home with no trout, but with 2 small pine squirrels and 1 grouse. Nice day in the woods, even if it was just a couple hours break from hauling materials. Never heard of Malamute squirrel or grouse dogs, but they did a good job.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Great story, Malamute. You must visit more often and keep us aware of the other varieties of small game. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I salute you!

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote