THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Morning out w/ the Benjamin.....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morning out w/ the Benjamin.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted

Went out Saturday Morning and took 3 cat squirrel and a nice young sow racoon. The wind started early and shut down the movement. Tried again Sunday morning and got these four on what primarily was a deer scouting adventure.

Should make for some good dumplins.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I love my Air Rifle as well

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader--I like the old Benjamins. A little fonder of my old Sheridan and that's mostly that I just like the .20 cal. I tried a scope on mine and found it clumsy to me. I had a pistol scope on it and had it mounted way forward which should have been out of the way more than any other method. Still was clumsy and I was doing just as well with my peep sights. On the Sheridans you can mount a peep and be good to go--but I'm told the Benjamins need a taller front sight with peep?? Anyways good shooting--post those pictures on the air gun board--lot of folks there would appreciate them.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm not real fond of the scope mount either. It's really too far forward and I have to choke down a good bit just to see through the cheap tasco. It get's the job done I guess. Shot some nice groups at 25 yards with the round nose 22cal Copperheads just prior to the season.

I could have most likely limited if I'd been carrying a shotgun, but just not as sporting and you don't have to worry about chomping down on shot pellets with the air rifle.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader---Do you have the black burrowing squirrel in your area? Was wondering if you had any experience with those? They seem harder to kill and was wondering what results you have had with them? I went through the agony of trying several scopes on my RWS air rifle before I bit the bullet and bought a Leupold compact 3x9 that has EFR (Extended Focus Range--adjustable objective so that it will focus close up).They run a little over $300 but the good news is on EBAY I have never seen one less than $275 so you can't go wrong. I consider it a great scope.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
No, we don't have the burrowing squirrel here. We mainly have Grey squirrels refered to as "Cat" squirrels and red squirrels refered to as "Fox" squirrels.

We do have some black squirrels that are very rare like an albino. Many folks get the black squirrels mounted. I've killed piles of squirrels and I've only had the privilage to see a few black squirrels and one albino. I was able to get one black and one that was partially black.

Our squirrels are not that big. The cats go around a pound and the foxes go around 2lbs with a big one going 3.

The strangest squirrels I've ever seen were in Alabama deer hunting years ago. They looked like our fox squirrels on steroids and many had white and black patches on their head. I don't know what they were called but they were literally the size of young racoons. I had never seen a squirrel like that in my life. I don't think I'd even attempt to shoot one of those rascals with my air rifle and you'd have to have some serious shot in your scatter gun to be effective.

Reloader