Notify
Tools

Question for DD
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
Must set up the question first.

Last weekend, a group from work drove down to New Orleans to go deep sea fishing, headed out to the Lump to try for yellowfin. We arrived about 6:00 P.M., boat to head out about midnight. We set our grill up and proceeded to char some beef about dark. Across the road a local couple was fishing, (they caught a couple of small specks and one nice redfish, anyway, as the steaks sizzled and the aroma wafted across the road to their station, one could see the guy leaning back in his lawn chair and salivating at the smell. Feeling that it was cruel to put out that type of perfume and not offer, I stepped across to where they were seated and offered the fact that we had plenty, and that they were more than welcome to join us. Took about 1.25 seconds for them to join the feast. During the meal, they filled us in on the local color, and a great time was had by all. Cigars, libations, and more conversation followed, and John, (the man's name) allowed as to how he needed to let their dog out of the truck cab for a potty break. This piqued my interest, and I asked why they just did not let the wee pup wander, as there was no traffic, and he informed us that, no, that would not be a good idea, as there was a 6'+ gator in the drainage pipe running under the road, and that his pooch could wind up as tender vitals if he wandered too near the shore. Large light out of the motor home, and we all were able to see the eyes in the pipe, but no luck in coaxing him out. Not that we meant the reptile any harm mind you, there is just a paucity of gator sightings in our neighborhood, and, well, boys will be boys!

To further set this up, just up the road about two miles was a service station/restaurant that we had stopped at for ice and diesel, and around said pit stop was an abundance of feral kitties, prowling around the dumpster.

It should be noted that the weather that night was far less than conducive to fishing. As a matter of fact we made it out about four hours before seas became too rough to continue, (got our bohinneys kicked, 10-12 ft. waves). We had to turn back. However, the trip is reset for this next Friday night.

Now for the question!

If I take my Havaheart and a couple of cans of tuna, and am successful in spiriting a crat from the fuel stop/diner, securing it to a harness, (I have a set of leather gloves from an aluminum caster that I constructed which reach between elbow and shoulder for protection) and dangle said crat in the water in front of the tinhorn, would the gator be enticed to show? Hmmm? Any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Dunno about gators, but a Rottie would probably make the drag scream.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This time of year it might be slow to respond due to lower temperature and metabolism. OTOH, life in an urban setting might make it a bit hongry...

I watched a squill walk right under Li'l Bob's snoot the day he posed for the picture last spring, wondered if it just wasn't enough to tempt him? Well, he did show minor interest so I assume if the squill had lingered he woulda chomped down on it. Jiggle the crat up and down in the pipe, you'll get a strike soon enough I'm bettin'. Make sure the harness and leash are digestable, or at least small enough to pass to the bottom of the culvert pipe. Wink Too bad lizards are cold blooded, otherwise it would make for good IR camera footage! thumb

Oh, and make sure you're clear of the end of the pipe. If it's ready for dinner it might slide out of the pipe, such things generally being slimey, slippery, and full of gator crap.

Dan

POTYHC

www.JustGrabHimByTheTail.IfHeLeavesThePipe.HangOnFirmly

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote