New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beer vs. Aap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These pictures were taken in a Dutch zoo. Sloth bears hunted, killed, and ate a screaming monkey in front of zoo patrons. You can probably make out from the story this fellow's Dutch (there's pictures), but the English AP story's link follows (sorry, no gruesome pictures in the AP story).

Chase, kill, monkey snacks.

Toned down English version for gringos.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD,

Since you are the expert in dutch, if I remember correctly, can you translate the article for us!!

cheers beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I read that story. Perhaps the Dutch will soon understand about bears getting tired of the monkeys screwing with them, something they did not ask for, that was imposed upon them, and.....

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Momkeys must be some sorta throwback to a Krat me thinks, hassle bears and expect to get away with it? It was either get eaten or the Sand Tube.

Anyway, what's wrong with a Bear having snack on Sunday afternoon; sorta like sitting down in front of the TV with a Beer and a Basket of Chips & Dip.....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
I believe that the zoo is missing a great opportunity to open a new revenue stream. Cordon off that area, release ferral crats and charge extra admission to see the show. That would be worth a couple of extra bucks to me. clap They might be able to collect enough money to build an aquarium and bring in Big Moe for a crat swimming extravaganza. The possibilities are endless!

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Rich you have a great thought there. Feeding time at the zoo AND, if you want to, for a 2$ donation you get your choice of kittens from the box to toss over the fence for the bears to live a more natural life and not be bored day after day with the same old monkey tricks.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...we ahve a local public aquarium. The central exhibit is a simulated offshore platform with all the reef dwellers...including a couple of sand tiger sharks, a 4'+ barracuda, and a reeeeeeaaaallllly big Jewfish (Goliath Grouper for the PC folks). Feeding time is a popular time for people to go watch. Oh the possibilities....too bad the staff is probably beset with treehuggers...The fools probably never even try some catch and release fishing in the tanks. What a waste!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naw, that was Swedish. Dunno know much about Dutch speak.

I do appreciate the thought of diversity in zoos. Seems animals work a lot like people...

Dan

POTYHC

www.Philosophical.Dan

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I watched a bored cook at a fishing lodge creatively feed the rainbow trout.....The lodge did allow clients to catch the fish in front of camp where the lodge feed them guts/heads/etc from the salmon that were processed there. A good number of very nice and agressive trout partook of this bounty on a daily basis. Big Grin

The cook had a mouse problem(sorry, the rainbows were big, but not big enough for a crat!) and would catch them in a live trap. He told people that he would then let them go, a tue statement, but not complete. Wink The said cook would give the little mice(mostly voles, but close enough) a nice ride on a small custom built raft. As the raft peacefully floated over the deep water where the rainbows lurked the raft was violently accelerated back to shore via a piece of 20 lb mono. Strangley, none of the mice made it abck to shore. Eeker

It was quite a bit of effort for the cook to do all this for a few seconds of fun, but he said it was worth it. clap I wished I had a video camera then, more so now.
Cool
-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watch This!

Take a look at this video. I lifted it from Canuk over at the big game forum. Now you can see how much fun a bear in a pen full of lawn lions would be! clap

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great video clip Rich! rotflmo

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rich,

Great Clip!

Just prooves a point - the slow get eaten!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does. They do. I find it rather distressing that the idiots that shot the video A) found it so amusing, B) did not have a gun, and C) will likely have somebody laughing at their demise someday.

I assume that some rancher/farmer somewhere is out a piece of stock, ergo a few bucks. Not sure what they were...mebbe sheep? In his shoes I'd be inclined to save the livestock in any case, and perhaps feed the photographer to the friggin' bear.

All of my bullets are faster than bears. All of my neurons are brighter than those boys. Time for an Armond Joy.

Dan

POTYHC

www.AndCrats.Too

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't guess I'll try to outrun a bear.

H. C.

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I don't have to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun the slowest guy....

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went fishing for brookies once at a spot called Summit that's just east of Glacier National Park. Went with a buddy from Whitefish, MT who pulled a large hickory stick out of the truck along with his fishing gear.
I says, "What's the club for?"
He said "Grizzlies."
I said "You're going to hit a bear with a stick?" bewildered
He retorts, "Nope. I'm gonna hit you in the knee and run like hell." Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something about that video kind of haunts me. Maybe someone here knows more about sheep than I do.

That last group of 3 sheep in front of the bear is two little ones and one big one, all the same color, hanging together in a tight group. Now, I'd figure a big sheep could outrun a little sheep if it wanted to. I wonder if that big sheep was related to those little sheep and the big one dropped back so the little ones could get away.

(I find the end more melancholy with the sound turned off).

H. C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some times the big ones are just fatter
Like some of us the big ones aren't faster

Personal experance-- but still trying to lose weight Big Grin

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote