Find
Notify
Tools

squirrel hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted
I shot a squirel with my .44 mag the other day,,the only thing left was the tail,,,,could anyone tell me where the rest of it went?,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It ran away !! animal I did see a jackrabbit shot at 25 yds with a 340 Wthby and only the ears and head remained , the rest exploded. But that would never happen to a squirrel with a 44 mag.All you got was tail feathers and the rest ran away.

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claybuster:
I shot a squirel with my .44 mag the other day,,the only thing left was the tail,,,,could anyone tell me where the rest of it went?,,,Clay

Don't worry, he'll grow a new tail. rotflmo

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
LOL,,The best one I ever had was the pidgeon that crapped on my pink caddy exactly 2 minutes after I finished washing it,,the bastard made the mistake of landing on the roof of my garage,,,shot it with a 180 grn soft point out of my .303,,it was 5 minutes or so before the feathers stopped floating around,,,,Kill'em All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
While deer hunting,I tried to "Bark" a squill with my .348.
It turned out,,,,not to good. Eeker

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
A few months ago, me and my buddy were filling feeders at our lease in the Hill Country, which is absolutely covered up in fox squirrels. Sometimes you'll pull up to a feeder and there's 4 or 5 of the little bastards, they'll send one up the leg of the feeder to stretch out and spin the spinner to make the corn come out while the rest of them chow down underneath. Anyways, back to the story. I always carry my S&W 629 Classic .44 mag and so I went chasing in hot pursuit of the little thief. He went up a tree and thought he was out of harms way, but a 240 gr. JHP changed his mind. I hit him a little low and blew off both front legs. I felt really bad because I never like to see anything suffer, but when he fell to the ground, my buddy's dog made short work of him and put him out of his misery.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Jon H.
posted Hide Post
I have created another rabid huntin' person!
In Oct. my wife and I talked our 11 year old daughter into going squirrel hunting. When she finally got a shot, he came bouncing down from limb to limb, free-fall. When it hit the ground, I thought my daughter was going to have a stroke of something! She squealed and bounced and jumped all over the place. When I told her to hold it up for a photo, she couldn't hold it still enough for a couple of minutes!
This was one of my greatest hunting moments, EVER.
Jon H

if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer

Posts: 14 | Location: somewhere in Arizona.... | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Jon H.
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't catch the typo. Should be 'stroke OR something'
Jon H

if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer

Posts: 14 | Location: somewhere in Arizona.... | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a squill story.. My father in law had a semi-tame pine squill that would eat Ritz crackers, etc. outa your hand. While sitting on the dock a couple of years ago the thing came up to me and I put a piece of red licorice between my toes. The critter climbed on my bare foot and I promptly flicked him out into the lake. They're good swimmers and smart since that squill would never go near me again. The dumb thing hung around for 4 years till it ended up being shot by the neighbor kid's pellet gun.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get at least one squirrel almost every time i go out. I use my husband's old Marlin .22. He replaced the trigger spring with a ball point pen spring, and now it's the sweetest little shooter i ever shot! That trigger is smooth. Sometimes the squirrel is out there 60-75 yards and it makes no difference, if you have a rest, that gun will take them out same as at 20. Just don't over compensate, always keep in the hair and they just drop.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot a squeewak this year a .44 with a 290 gr. cast boolit. Fell out of the tree half cleaned. Picked it up went to the house and finished cleaning it.

Bigscot

Posts: 2 | Location: N.C. | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last day of muzzle loading a few weeks ago I emptied my .58 cal. muzzel loader on one in the yard. Wasn't enough left to eat, never found all the parts.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
That's some wasteful shooting, bud. Might I suggest this method instead? Smiler .50 cal ball.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I was out with a buddy last fall and we were on some public land walking around with our shotguns, but not hunting anything in particular. I kicked a bush and a cottontail bounded out and I made a fast shot and 20 feet later he was down for good. I think almost every pellet made it's way into the back of that rabbit (12 ga. with a cheap 7 1/2 load) and I even found the wad in it when I was cleaning the mess. What wasn't blown apart still tasted pretty good : ).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of New River Valley Outdoorsman
posted Hide Post
Read "The .54 Caliber Fox Squirrel" on my web site, www.nrvoutdoors.com

"For that which befalleth the sons of Man befalleth also the beasts; even as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they all have one Breath, so that a man hath no preminence over a beast, for all is Vanity."

Ecclesiastes III:19

Posts: 8 | Location: Blacksburg Virginia | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari:

Excellent shot.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
When I was a young kid one of my fathers work buddies grabbed one on a small tree. The squil bit him 9 times before he could let go.

I shot one 2 years ago with my Lyman Great Plaines 54cal with a round ball at les than 10 feet I never found anything. I figured that what the ball didn't damage the blast of 100 grains of Pyrodex finished.

BTW I am still looking for a 36cal rifle to take squil huntin.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamo

Nice shot.
I have shot them with my 4"44 and killed 2 with my 450 No2 "Elephant Gun".

All head shots with no meat waste.

However, I prefer to hunt them with a shotgun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the 'attaboys. Funny thing is, that .50 now lives as decoration on a beam in my pad only. It has been good to me only for small game. In fact, it has cost me two bucks in the past few seasons. Long stories, and certainly my own error had everything to do with it, but my confidence is gone. I hunt the ML seasons locally now with a (head down), inline. Sniffle...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote