Find
Notify
Tools

DEER HUNTING
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted
Story starts out big game but turns to small game.

I'm sitting on the 'tower hill road' in the west central part of the Windy State, waiting for Bambi to step out into the dirt road.

'Bout an hour and a half after sunrise there is a commotion brewing about 75 yards down. A rabbit runs across, and soon after, all manner of birds are crossing the road left to right. All is still and then out pops mister BOB, right into the middle of the road, and he looks back up the hill to where I am sitting then begins trotting down the road away from me.

Should I let him pass, a deer could come out anytime? They prey on fawns and the weak don't they? OK, I'll take him. By the time I get the Mod94 up he's over 100 yards away. Front and rear sight match, front sight completely covers Mister BOB, pull off slightly, take a bearing, cover him again with the sight, squeeze, boom, Mister BOB laying in the road, DRT.

The Bobcat 'rug' adorned the coffee table for a good many years.

Good sized cat, weighed over 35 pounds. Bobcats stink.

One of the shots I am most pleased with, irons sights completely cover a 35 lb cat at 125 yards.

JTHRROAMTDNTA

One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
It's always a dilema when you're deer hunting and a target of opportunity shows up. When I see a 'yote (or a cat), it just depends on my mood. If I'm bored he's dead, if I think things are right for a deer I let him go.
Couple of years ago I spotted a 'yote to my left about 80 yards away. As I brought the .270 up he busted me and dove into some brush. As I was waiting for him to reappear, I heard a noise to my right. I turn to see a 10 pointer come out broadside about 40 yards from the stand. Bang, Flop. Sometimes fate is funny.

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote