Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 WMR vs. 17 HMR
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I got luckey and picked up an Anschutz model 54 match action in 22 Mag. It has a heavy 23.5" barrel. It has a Leupold VariX-III 6.5-20 Power scope and I can shoot 1/2 to 3/4 " groups at 100 yards with it. I just use the 40 grain Winchester bullets. It is cheap 100 yard practice. It sure hits hard. I have tried some of the 30 grain CCI bullets and they are dymanite, however more expensive to shoot. Would like to try the new CCI with the VMAX bullet however...

Posts: 2 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Well...I went with 6mm AI. Definetly not a 17 HMR or 22 WMR, or even 223, but I want to try my hand at highpower silhouette and long range shooting. I also just bought a Citori Sporting Clays, so after I get all that payed off, I might go with 22 WMR. I got to shoot one, and I could punch the centers out of clays at 100 easily with a 4x scope, and even hit some at 200 once I figured out the drop.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to eat what you shoot I'd go .22Mag or .22LR. If you want pelts that don't have big holes in them .17Rem is a very good idea and .17HMR isn't bad. .22 centerfires blow too big of holes in things if you want the fur but are great for zapping pests you don't expect to reclaim.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 17HMR, 22 mag, 22 K Hornet, .223, 22-250. They all have their place but my 22 K hornet takes anything from squirrel/rabbit up to and including coyotes out to 200 yards. If you reload, you can't go wrong with a K Hornet.
Good shooting!

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the average Hornet is way more accurate than any of the rimfires at 150 yard and has a lot more power..

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote