Notify
Tools

Experimentation time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok,
.22 lr or .20 pellet between the eyes = break dancing flip flops

.22 lr quartering away behind the ear = sweet dreams nighty night.

Now, say I gotta take one with broadside shot. Anyonoe have any suggestions on how to knock 'em off all fours and keep 'em down and not wake the neighbors? Can a 30-30 or .38 special subsonic squib load do that? Can't have it flopin' around or running off.
Got a live catch to experiment on.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
.312 BR w/209 primer in the 30-30, Just an idea I have not tried this but might work. If you do check bore make sure it's clear after shot.

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try a .450-577 Snider round. Dead soft lead and just enough powder to get it out of the barrel. Prolly eliminate overpenetration and be pretty quiet to boot, depending on barrel length.

Of course, you might need to calculate trajectory and hold off a bit... maybe even use it in indirect fire mode w/collimator sight.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello model20. These things you ask have been well settled for quite some time due to the vast experience of many of the pioneers here. You ask about a broadside oriented marauding porch panther or an urban ranch cougar that must be dispatched by knocking it off its feet, keeping it down, and not awakening the neighbors. Well we have documented cases where that was done with the accurate toss of a common hammer, and a few times with a brick, cement block,chop of an axe, tree stump, spare tire, gallon of paint(though a bit messy at times), bowling ball, deadfall weighted with a bag of cement, sling shot, arrow, bolt, electric grid set-up, Old Sparky(repro sized for crats), 12V. battery slipped off the edge of the porch, instant acting garage door, giant rat(crat) trap, golf club, hockey stick, javelin, machete, croquet mallet, tennis raquet, crutch, cane, fish spear, frog gig, broadsword, and one lady just jumped on the crat with both feet. The general consensus has been though that your common lead rifle/pistol projectile in a squib load just does not do the job in the circumstance you indicate. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I found a rabbit eating my wifes fucking flowers in the flower bed I made and planted for her,,A 50' circle in the middle of our yard.Time,,,,6:15 am tuesday,Aimed the headlights of my truck on it,,pulled my .22 cal pcp air rile out of the tool box. The shot flipped it 2' backwards into a little quivering brown ball of dead meat. Not one light came on from the other houses in the culdesac. The thing is so accurate,,I only go for head shots,,body shots are guaranteed,,head shots on pidgeons,,98%,,,anything bigger,100% thumb You're asking for trouble shooting crat broadside,,you'll learn about the 9 lives real quick,,Keep'em in the crainium! Lastly,,blowing things up,,and being descreet,,Don't generally go hand in hand,,they are two opposing one way streets,,that is unless you're pd shooting,,those dudes are serious about it too!!Have fun!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axe chop is one of the favorites when you need swiftness but requires getting close to said lawn lion. Cross bow is quite deadly and nearly silent. ALthough said urban cheetah may experience catrobatics for a breif moment after impact unless you head shoot em than all motion will remain under radar of even the lightest sleeping neighbor!
Golf clubs are also good weapons of choice but again require being close to the intended target.

bewildered Hmmm golf with crats? Now there is a way to get me into golfing!
We could bury the cats with only their heads poking up tilted at an angle to hold the ball and then tee off FOUR or should I say heads up or off?? This would be the only course where taking a large divot would be incouraged! thumb Hmmmm I may be on to something! bewildered

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
223 case, 1/4 thick piece of wax, and a primer. Stuff neck of case through wax , seat primer. Works well also with revolver rounds and even 30-06 rounds. Primer powered wax bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Maryland state sport is jousting (of all things) and I recently witnessed a successful modified use of the technique once by a (un-named) friend who had a few Captain Morgans under his belt. He spotted a maurading opossum near the road and in a humanitarian attempt to make sure the little darling was not hit by a passing car, he used my 4 wheeler at about 15 mph and the tip of a tiki torch staff to skewer the possum, thus saving him from a potentially dreadful death on the road. Several female guests sitting on the porch were not convinced it was the lesser of two evils and one in particular was near tears. They (the women) quickly determined that this was not appropriate conduct for a man of almost 60 years and were not afraid to voice their opinion. I offered that it was clearly the devil rum that had caused the incident and the male guests quickly retired to my shop with another drink in hand to further discuss the merits of the technique.

While this is not a quiet method I can see application of this technique apply to krats successfully, even though they may be somewhat more agile than possums requiring more consultation with Captain Morgan or others. Maybe I need muffler silencer on my 4 wheeler!! Also, once impaled, the krat can be deposited in the biofuel pot untouched by human hands....just fuel for thought.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow N.S.! I have been following this forum for quite some time and thought I had heard just about every way to skin a crat. Maybe I should ask one of the more skilled Jedi-type crat removers for an apprenticeship so I can expand my horizons. Any volunteers? beer

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck Mr. Marlin.32-20. That was just some of last months data! I don't know about any apprentice program, but some have taught their pets to be helpful. I think you just have to do what needs to be done and follow your instincts, except in Michigan you probably have to be extra sneaky too. N.S.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Hey Marlin,,maby build a 5" bore pneumatic spudgun to shoot some of those famous michigan sugar beets through!!!! Good luck!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention that clay. When I built my first spud gun I was fortunate enough to have a potato field directly behind my house and a sugar beet field across the road. My main problem was finding enough propellant to keep me happy. Big Grin

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you forgot one N.S. The Muzzy Broadhead Nail-'em-to-the-barn trick. Keeps 'em from tellin' momma. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.DanglingFeatherIn.LilBobsMouth

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
They (the women) quickly determined that this was not appropriate conduct for a man of almost 60 years and were not afraid to voice their opinion.

You should have agreed with them, and then told them to take their clothes off for an appropriate activity for a man "almost 60 years of age" thumb

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HTRN,

Understand your point, but these are NOT women you want to see nude...20 years ago maybe, but certainly not now,,,,especially with the lights on!!!!!!!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MY EYES, MY EYES!!!!! Red Face AAAIIEEEEE! Eeker

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Yankeetown.TraumaCenter

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Braille is good.

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
HTRN,

Understand your point, but these are NOT women you want to see nude...20 years ago maybe, but certainly not now,,,,especially with the lights on!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that always the way? thumbdown

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 grains sr4759 , 100 gr plinker, 30-30 in the chest... a couple somersults inside the trap then a few eerie crys then nighty night. Experiment failed (wasn't quiet, wasn't instantaneous) but final results were spectacular.

http://www.abcbirds.org/cats/

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
If it's already in a trap, why not just give it the 55 gallon drum challenge?

HTRN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone considered a squirt gun with gasoline and a flare gun?....or flare on a stick? I know they are not quiet or unobtrusive,. but....they would provide a special end to an otherwise miserable existance. Maybe you could play the old song "You light up my life" or "It's cold in your shadow" to offer an appropriated interlude to the final command...."smokem if ya got em"

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would that be the 55 gal aquatic challenge?

That works too but water is a precious resource. I've noticed they usually crap, I guess they piss too......water pollution.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hah, we got us a different kind of aquatic challenge here abouts for the pesky critters. roflmao

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Leapin.Lizards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Digital D.. Is it true you train your gators with armadillos, when crats are scarce, like dog tracks do with rabbits?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's an ugly rumor started by PETA. I actually prefer PETAphiles as a training aid, when I can get 'em.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.PETAtraining.Lizards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD,

You need to get this info on PETAphiles to Bill O'Riley at FOX....it could be PITHY or worse!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model20:
Would that be the 55 gal aquatic challenge?

Bingo. Although technically the 55 gallon drum challenge is something else entirely.

Go google it and see what I mean. Big Grin

HTRN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What this "Pithy" mean GI? Same same Gunny carr pissing contest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Lowriders idea with the squirt gun. Get the crat soaked good with the gas and as its running off stick it with a flaming arrow. That way you have two things working for you, the arrow and the fire.

Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Big-un, what sauce do you recomend with that barbeque recipe? Oh, wait, "soaked good with gas", I got it.
sofa

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dragon Lady!!

You make bang bang at the Duc Tu Bar outside NKP?? I think I remember your mouth...it feels familiar!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Dragon Lady!!

You make bang bang at the Duc Tu Bar outside NKP?? I think I remember your mouth...it feels familiar!!

OH CRAP! INCOMING!!! sofa derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lowrider sir, you numba 10 GI! Mad Li not go NKP. That prace where navigator and other gay boy go. You not remember right. Mind manners GI, that way Dragon Lady not put on brack spandex show you Ninja tricks. BAH!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm.....I remember right...alright!! Yip...usually a bright red dress with yellow flowers that stopped about mid thigh!!

Perhaps it was a another Dragon Lady.....she think I was numba 1 GI on payday!! She love me and want to go land of "big PX" and we go around the world many times!!! She have many tricks, but not call them ninja!!

Guess that was a different Dragon Lady......

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bit of tap dancing old son! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote