Find
Notify
Tools

Got New Medicine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted
Bought myself some hornady 110gr rn bullets for my .308win today! Gonna push them to +-3300fps(hopefully). I wanna shoot (vaporize) a few feral felines over the weekend on my girlfriend's dad's farm, yay!!!!!!
With reminds me, I've got a few Sako 125gr heads that made a francolin explode in one big cloud of feathers, maybe they'll work too......

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you brother. Smokdem' puddies'

gunsmile

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
You'll most like'ly get 3100 fps, but thats still the cats meow !

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I pushed them at 2800 - 2850 fps and blew the MEOW out of the cats .

I could not get them to group well any faster .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrong twist rate in the 308 for such a light bullet. Sides, I get an honest 3350fps(average) with a 180 gr Rem. Bz Point out of my 300 Wby. It would be interesting to see what happens to a small game critter like a porch panther gets hit with that! Wink derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Ph,,Those 110gr rn's were really intended for the .30 carbine,And I'm with Derf on the twist rate. Speer makes a 125gr hp bullet they call "tnt",,probably very similar to the sako's you mentioned,,That would do a bit better for you. Please give give us a report on your endeavors,,good or bad,,I'm interested to hear how it goes for you,,Good luck!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Those TNTs shoot very nicely in my 7.5 Swiss, .75 minute of crat as a matter of fact. Now if I can only get a crat to visit to 100 yard line. I might also mention that the locals here refer to the "mark" of the Half-Moon Club as a Weatherby Trophy.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf, you're putting some stuff on that Roy...do wear glasses... Big Grin

Dan

POTYHC

www.Louden.Boomer

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell you what Dan, even with the original Magnaporting that thing hops some! Eeker Thus far though the load has shown no "overt" pressure signs. I loaded those rounds quite some time back when I though faster was better. When I get the chance I think I will pull those cartridges apart and go for the Sierra accuracy load. Fred

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
I screwed up a Grey Lourie (Go-Away Bird)'s day on wednesday with one of the 110gr Hornady's, I could only "recover" the top half of the bird! The shot was at about 40yards, now where's those kittys??? HEHE........... jumping

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One fine fall day years back I found myself the last man standing at a hammock camp deep in the southern reaches of the Everglades, packing up for the trip home. The others had left a few hours earlier, leaving me and my dorg to the cool sunny fall morning, a pot of coffee and dwindling fire.

Finding myself about ready to depart there was a final thing left to do...unload my Renegade. I never found any fun in using the screw thingy on the ramrod, and by devine intervention a flock of very large birds landed nearby in the tree tops. thumb They were the sort of birds I'd never cared for anyway, and in that twinkling of time between trigger pull and the target being obscured by smoke there came a remarkable image...a Fearless Fosdick apparition in the tree, with vast expanse of daylight where black had been, framed in a chunky mist of red and gore. Kinda what you'd expect Sam Peckinpah to approve of for a scene from his unshot movie "The Drunk Bunch".

Dorg cowered in fear and confusion, the skeeters fled from the cloud of sulphurous fumes and quiet returned to the deep swamp. Dan tippy-toed over to the scene of the crime, 'bout 35 yards or so. A small collapsed wad of head, wings and bunghole, connected by a single shred of skin and feathers on each side of what had been a body. I've not seen any gun or bullet gut a creature so...completely. Ever, or since. Eeker Like a bomb had detonated inside, innards hanging from limbs, feathers in a 15-20 radius carpeting the ground and water's edge.

So, my suggestion is this. Don't hunt bunnies with a .50 cal conical. They may be fine for crats, and the flatish meplate of the TC Maxiball lends to complete annihilation of evidence, but after that I understood why the US Civil War was such a horror show. Big chunks of soft lead at BP velocities are often taken far too lightly by the inexperienced. I'd far rather get shot by a .30-06 if I had to make a choice. One of the camp hunters was a chest cutter at Naples General, and a comment of his regarding ML wounds made sudden a starke sense. "Nothin' is harder to patch up than a gunshot from a muzzleloader. They're awful." Of course back then the sabot had not come into use for ML's...it was all low tech and obsolete. Yeah, right.

Dan

POTYHC

www.ShatteredN.Sundered

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, 55 balistic tips out of a .22-250 don't do the bunnies much good either. I will have to try my 50 with a roundball for comparison.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Now you know what to go to when you have to get a lucky cat's foot charm.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why I like so much the 50PRB on Tree Rats, Bunnies and Gophers! You got to love that old time carnage! thumb derf

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I shot a squirrel on the ground once, with a .45 Kentucky Long Rifle. I hit him low on the body, and it cut him in two. The tough lil bastid managed to crawl about 8 feet without his lower extremities, up the tree.

Dem smokepoles cause an awesome carnage, at any velocity.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote