THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    .22LR bullet design, i have a few questions.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR bullet design, i have a few questions.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Given that .22LR ammo is cheap a few rounds fooled around with couldnt hurt. what if u were to take the bullet (lead) of of the round and empty only some powder. then replace the lead with a .22cal pellet of lighter wieght? would that make a quieter faster bullet? And if u take a solid .22 round and a knife shave it to a sharp tip would that increase the speed? or possible cut a deep "x" on the top would that make it expand like a hollow point? this is just a few things i was wandering. i want to reload but this is the closest thing i have to reloading right now.

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
It will not work CK. The case is rolled into the bullet, and you cannot put it back in. You may set the round off if you are careless with the pliers and crush the rim. besides the case will be damaged getting the bullet out would not chamber, even if you could force the bullet back in.

Just go buy some CB caps like others have suggested to you, it is much easier and safer. Wait until you have a center fire to reload for and then study up on the safe way to do it.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I would listen to Hog Killer on this one, friend; besides, what you wind up with is a pellet propelled only by primer. It blows the powder right out with the pellet since the pellet skirt is not held in the crimp (you have to pinch it down to get it to go in the shell) and the powder never gets a chance to burn. What you are most likely to wind up with is a barrel obstruction < !--color-->.

If you have a single shot, I try some .22shorts. If you have to shoot .22lr, try Aguila Colibri. There just isn't much that can be done out there to rimfire cartriges. There is a fellow out there (I have seen his ad a few times in magazines) who makes a jig for filing off the round nose of standard rn ammo: such a jig should not be difficult for a person with a drill press to make but should be made of steel and should be done with a drill press. If you file by hand, they will be inconsistent round to round and if they are not perfectly square they will be out of ballance and will tumble. all in all, not much reason to try mods.
My advice would be to wait until you are shooting centerfire and get a Lee reloading kit.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or don't, there are people out there making hay with wildcats based on the .22 LR case. They use special dies, and special techniques to reform and load in calibers from .10 to .20. Personally I think they have too much time on their hands, but I have no question that this type of activity is completely within the realm of EXPERT < !--color--> level reloading science, and not for the beginner, or even somewhat accomplished folks.

In any case, there are no niches left to fill for the manufacturers of .22 rimfire ammo. You can go to the sto', and get whatever you need it fo', right over the counter.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Distant.Horizons

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just bored last night and had about 11 rem. thunderbolts left over got a few ideas. anyway i just wanted to see what all could be done with a .22 case. But looks like it all has been done. Oh do they make a non-expanding .22LR? maby some match ammo?

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just want splat effect buy Winchester Power Points. For quite, well, we've already covered that. For penetration try RN designs. Match ammo does quite well for reaching deep.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Flying.Ashtrays

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote