THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Re: In need of a crat control rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: In need of a crat control rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted
Yep,,,thats me,hate'em. I'd rather have a cockroach for a pet.My dad was visiting over the holiday,,,mentioned stray cats,,I told him I bagged 2 last month,He said good,,kill a few more Pres.? I might be a bit more help than the rest of the country needs or could handle Critter,,You ought to look at a nef handi-rifle,,Cheap to buy,good accuracy,you can swap barrels if you need a bit more pepper.Have Fun!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bagged (literaly) my first cat! black and white one bout 3 lbs. which is nothin speacial compared to the mother cat which spawned all these demons. i took a reall good look at my mounts with my .22 scope, and the mounts were bent to when i shot they moved i bought some see-thru mounts. the ones that let u see the iron sights and scope. and i sighted it in at 50yrds. i saw the cat at 25 and i shot him in the head. but i realized a real bad situation. too many witnesses, how can i dispose of these vile creatures quickly and quietly? i have no wooded areas close enough to throw them into them. i used a garbage sack to get this one outta sight quick. me and my dad (read: partner in crime/justice) took him to the local garbage and got rid of him.

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
It's nice when you can pick them off while they're still in the trash can,,,just put the lid back on .From the sounds of your situation,,,you might be better off getting a good air rifle like a beeman R-9 in .20,or a talon ss in .22.They're wicked,,,,,,both in power and accuracy And fairly quiet to boot.Congrats on the kill Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yup i got a beeman silver bear but not enough power at the range i see these cats normally. i killed cats before at my old house kittens too yound to know to run. but here they stay at about 50-75yrds and rarely come any closer for a long time period, the one i shot today didnt see me. so i need to talk to 120mm bout his rifle he said its quiet, i need one like it later on but my .22 does the job. my biggest concern isnt the noise of the gun its after i drop a cat in mid daylight in the middle of my yard not letting the nieghbors who live within a rocks throw away from my front porch seeing my rightouse doings.

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Marlin 17 HMR models, they are superb for "cat-sized" animals. Always use the V-Max loads, though, you don't need extra penetration on a cat, and, you get the much beloved "catrobatics" that we all know and love. Field-tested and proven, the .17HMR is a dandy, for your average sized cat. However, you may need to move up to a .22 Magnum if you get a trophy sized cat that is eating well, say, a 20 pounder. I don't know about the crat thing, I just shoot cats. Have a happy day.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
17HMR is excellent for tabby termination! I've proof tested mine out to about 100yrds. Have fun and let us know how it works out for ya!

P.S. Im a new guy here to so I cant help ya with the crat thingy either.

Posts: 22 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all clays fault that "crat thingy"! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Claybuster for president!

His platform: Kill 'em all!
His Promise: I hate crats!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Unswerving.Integrity

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CK, get yourself a very old Winchester single shot with a fairly heavy barrel and have it drilled ad tapped by a decent smith. Add a Bushnell scope and worry no more! With CB caps it will make almost no noise and will be deadly accurate. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Try Federal CB Longs. For close-in shots, like my backyard, file the tips flat, then they don't penetrate too much, richochet and hit the neighbor's window. Shot placement paramount.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im going to Wal-Mart today. Gonna pick up a value box of some 500 somthing rounds, and some CB longs if i can afford it (i managed to scrape up $16).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just so's y'all don't get confusicated, CB caps/BB caps, and CB Shorts/Longs aren't the same thing. If'n you need me pontificate lemme know. They will all kill small game, and your best friends too if you aren't careful.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.GoOutAnd.PlayNow

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had good luck in Urban Combat with Elley Sub Sonics. I got a Savage bolt action 22lr with a bull bbl. 4x12 Swift scope on top. I guess the sub sonics with that heavy bbl, its pretty damn quiet. I can dial ole tabbys eye right up to the lense, and watch it go black.

Ahhhhh...... Sweet memories.....

Yote

Posts: 87 | Location: Eldon Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
critter Killer--Your scope is either bad or loose. 50 yards is not really best range to sight in a .22 rimfire. Try about 16 yards. It has to do with line of sight passing through bullet path twice.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got it sighted in. 50yrd zero and im shooting out to about 150yrds with hold over. im doing well.