THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Calling Squirrels/Squirrel Calls

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Squirrels/Squirrel Calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Has anyone had any luck with squirrel calls? What brands and what kind are most effective? When are the best times to use calls (time of the season & time of day). Do they put some squirrels on the defensive? Can you call a squirrel out of a hole or nest? Any experience you have with calls will be greatly appreciated.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use the hs brand squirrel call, it is a bellows type call and I have had really good success with it. just find a good area that has a good food source and sit down for a short while. as you sit there listen to the woods around you, the longeer you sit the more alive the forest will become as all the little critters start to relax and forget about you being there. once you notice it come alive again start with the call and keep a good look out for them.if you stay still they will come in close and not even realize you are there until you move around. the call I have came with a cassett tape of instructions on how to use the call, it was pretty easy to learn and seems to work well for me, I use it all times of day with success

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a bellows type that you can tap or wag. It really infuriates fox squirrels. good for hunting divided lots. you can call squirrels from the neighbor to your lot, then goodnight.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I use the tubular wood call with a wood plate in the middle. You strike it with a flat wood stick and it imitates a squirrel barking.

You can also get a sound out of it like a squirrel chewing the shell off a hickory nut by rubbing the rough side of the wood stick on the plate.

I have had the same one since about 1956 but have no idea who made it or if its still made. There is no name on it.

Sometimes I blow a crow call as if a crow is scolding a squirrel and it can at times make them start barking back at it.

I have never seen one come out of a nest to a call but maybe they have and I just did not see them. I usually dont mess with a call if they are moving around on their own.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several of the "bellows" type calls and I make the excited squirrel call. You want to know what happens? well I have had Whitetail deer respond to it. One buck pranced out of the swamp into the hardwoods looking to see what was happening in his woods. I was reluctant to share this observation since I did not want to be branded as some screwball, but I have had more deer respond to my squirrel call than squirrels. I love to hunt fox and grey squirrels. The fall in Wisconsin must be heaven.

Posts: 33 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 31 July 2007Reply With Quote