Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elvis Is Dead
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted
Dan,,sounds like you ought to build a smokehouse,,people will kill for true smoked hams and bacon,,,,,,that has'nt been injected with 15% "brine solution" by wieght.And from pevious posts,,I know you have the ways and means Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay, I've been a "smoker" for a long while and will dispense with all the "hard to light" jokes for the moment. The brine injection thing is due to concerns about botulium toxin, and that being a bit stranger than LSD I hear, the Gubmint got involved. For wholesale distribution they have requirements for both saline content and a temp./time curve to ensure that the meat is totally inedible, thus condeming a wonderful thing to oblivion. Retail sales don't require this, go figure. There is, on the other side of the hill, a remarkable world of cookery that does not involve this corruption; fish, pork and fowl have been so blessed in my past. My new digs here in Y'town are bereft of a smoker at the moment but time will cure that, no brine required. My favorite wood is button wood, mangrove and key lime BTW. I never did think much of smoking after sex.

Ann, I don't know that I'd call hogs nocturnal as I've bagged them round the clock. They certainly don't let darkness curb their appetite though. They are considered pests here in Florida and are unprotected year round except in some WMA's. In Georgia they don't even require a license, res. or non-res. Wild boars are not on my menu, small sows and Li'l pigs are. A covey rise with a pump gun is a lot of fun...

I shall try smokin' cat after the smoker is built. Perhaps Paul Prudhome would like the recipe.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.CatsAreHard.ToLight

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
...and I was thinking Yankeetown was somewhere on the panhandle. I have an uncle who lives in Riverside, that being the other side of Tampa. I was down there last summer to celebrate his and my aunt's 60th anniversary. We had a good time and one of my crazy cousins invited my father and I back down for some boating and shooting. We talk about going down but in the winter.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've smoked a cat or two myself, with the .222.

Posts: 23 | Location: USA transient | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With Quote