THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Has anybody else here ever gotten a free gun?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anybody else here ever gotten a free gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted
I'm curious as to whether anybody has - and I don't mean gifts from relatives, I mean somebody just giving you a gun. Sunday, Somebody I know from the shooting club gave me a (badly) sporterized #4 Enfield. I intend to make a "Yukon Sporter" out of it.

Here, have a looksee:

As you can see, it' kinda rough.. lol

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I gave a buddy of mine a Jungle carbine for his commissioning as an officer in the Air Force. That doesn't seem to make sense but we were in college together and had several (well, it seemed) classes of British History together. Anyway, I had one when we worked together at PCI and he seemed to like it. He was promoted recently and I picked up a leather bandoleer for him (if fit the period that we studied) though it does not match the period of the rifle. I still have not had the chance to give it to him so I am thinking about returning it for something that matches the carbine in period or handing him my No1 Mk III.

My Jungle carbine was stolen some time ago and my #1 mark 3 is pretty bad. I was thinking about even converting it to .45. Anybody want a 5 rnd mag?

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Oh, and no, never got one; just gave one.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah over the years I've been given a few .303s & 22s that the previous owner was retiring from the "trade" & just wanted to get rid of them ! I've done the same my self with a few ! But it's always a nice jesture I feel& shows a little kindness still exsits!
Dave

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I won a 10/22 in a raffle one time,,,Does that count? If not,,a guy gave me a '78 sedan de'ville,,,metallic pink,,with a darker vynil hood,,,,It might as well have been the magic bus!!!!Pussy galore!!!!Have fun!!!!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Nope sorry, winning a gun doesn't count, but it does make me jealous. thumb

A metallic pink caddy?! Tell me claybuster do you often tell your "employees", "BITCH, where's my money?" clap

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
It would seem appropriate for you to take the free gun and shoot a free cat. A gift that keeps on giving.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Right now it has no sights, and a barrel of questionable strength...

I guess I'd have to use one of the other ten Enfields I have... Cool

Toolmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few dropped on my head from time to time, but I've given away a few more. My latest gift to a friend was a M77 in 7x64 Brenneke that it turns out was/is a bug-hole shooter with PMC 160 grain loads and a Leupy scope. A fledgling deer hunter with a good start I'd say. He may never know the joys(?) of a new rifle that won't shoot. Pity.

My most recent acquistion of this nature would be a Belgium Browing .22 Auto circa '59 in near new condition. I posted some group pics in one of the other forums awhile back, either small bore or rimfire, don't recall which.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.WhatGoesAround.ComesAround

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once gave a .22 to my brother. Then I missed it and bought another one of the same model. If anyone has anything laying around they want to give away, well I'm open to free gifts.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Former co-worker gave me a Mk III Enfield and a Ruger .22 pistol.

Only condition was that if I ever sold them, I'd donate the money to charity. So, I'll find a good pro-gun charity, when that happens.

Another co-worker gave me her deceased father's old single shot 12 ga. It was in really sorry shape. I got rid of it for $10.

I helped her mother out by getting her set up in compliance with our gov't registration scheme Mad Mad so she was legal. A trigger lock and wall mount for the father's Martini action .22 that he used in marksmanship competitions in Britain, when he was a kid in the 1930's. They had a pic of him as a kid, with the rifle, that we mounted below it. Looked really good. I'm hoping the mom will remember me when she decides to get rid of it. One of the nephews has made noise about getting the rifle, but the mom has said she doesn't want him to have it.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was given a Rem.700 that was supposed to be a 270,but some idiot had cut the barrel to about 10 inches and turned the stock into a pistol grip. It was intended to be used for poaching but it never got there as the fellow who gave it to me had confiscated it from the butt-wipes that had altered it. Wood went into the wood stove and the action went to a smith for legalizing. Got $200 for it as an action and shared with the guy who gave it to me.
Other than that, I have given a couple of s/s 22's to youngsters with an interest in shooting,with their parents permission. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
toolmaker, i think you should shoot that gun. a lot. in hot weather. with badly reloaded ammunition. it would work well with my plans.

Posts: 79 | Location: wherever there is a female in heat | Registered: 27 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I only got a free gun a couple of times. I got a gun for my wife one time though, it was the best trade I ever made. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Toolmaker,,I got a chuckle out of that,,I could see myself lining up the mexicans in the morning and asking them that,,,The two that know english would be rolling on the floor laughing,,,The balance would be smiling and bobbing thier heads up and down acting like they actually understood what I was saying.For all of you that have managed to procure a piece in such a way,,,,,Congrats!!!!!!!!!,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good shooting buddy gave me a Remington 788 in .223 caliber with a Leupold 12x scope. I even received about 150 handloads. It shoots 1/2" at 100 yards all day long. I have sing added a 4x12 scope for coyote hunting. His eyes are getting bad & he said he wanted to give it to someone who would use & appreciate it. Great friend even without the gun gift!

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I gave my Father several Handguns and a couple of rifles.
I gave my sons a couple shotguns each.
I gave my cousin a powerline air rifle which he lost (Dumb Ass).

I quit giving any guns away except for some bad trades at the gun shows with dealers. thumbdown to many gun laws any more.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our very own DigitalDan gave me a Remington 550 expressly for the purpose of shooting cats. Needless to say, I have got considerable use of it to that purpose, especially when I was living down in Florida with all the diseased crats that lived in and under my trailer.

My dad once found a ton of guns hidden by a survivalist who committed suicide(????) and I am still going through them, fixing them up and learning basic gunsmithing. The bank gave dad all the non-fixed assets on this nutcases' farm in exchange for bringing in the crops one year, and I inherited all his firearms.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

A city police detective friend of the family confiscated a Sheridan .177 air rifle from a juvenile delinquent. He gave it to me with my father's permission. I passed it on to a friend's son when I graduated to centerfire weapons. I have no idea of its whereabouts now.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIRMAN'S XO:
toolmaker, i think you should shoot that gun. a lot. in hot weather. with badly reloaded ammunition. it would work well with my plans.

Your plans mean nothing. You want to get rid of me? Give me a reason to post. I dissapear at post one thousand... To be replaced by HIM.

You have heard of HIM haven't you? Around here he is legend. No mere mortal, more like a Tsunami crossed with Paul Bunyan and a Tree Chipper. There is much to fear from HIM for your foul little species. You think Slightly eccentric "Toolmaker" is a threat to your race? HA! Myself and the rest of the entire crew here couldn't match the decimation he does in but a single day in a hundred centuries.

RUN AND HIDE VERMIN, YOUR DAY OF RECKONING IS SOON AT HAND.

He's the Harbinger of Sorrow;
Clad in darkest black;
For you there is no tommorrow;
And now there's no turning back!;

Toolmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i hide from no redneck.

Posts: 79 | Location: wherever there is a female in heat | Registered: 27 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your poetry reminds me on another of your kind who is lost. where is the turtle. we require a location to perform some recon.

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIRMAN'S XO:
i hide from no redneck.

Ah, so you have heard of HIM.

Won't hide from HIM? You didn't strike me as suicidal.

Toolmaker

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Yes I know this is a double post, so don't bite my head off.

Came to a decision on what to do with the rifle.

Pac Nor #5a barrel SS, chambered in .303 Epps.

Boyd's sporter stock with an epoxy finish.

A new trigger, either a Huber or more likely another manufacturer that requires milling of the triggerguard and is a modern two stage - the name and website escapes me at the moment.

A Scope, probably a whatever I can lay hands on for a reasonable price mounted on a CAD Technik mount.

It should do first rate duty as a truck gun.

one more to go...

Toolmaker

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Does having an empty gun thrown at me count? Long story, involves a drunk ex-husband (forgot ammo,thank god) a battered wife, and a restraining order.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Personally, I derive greater satisfaction stomping on them with my size 14 EE.. gunsmile

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of 6.5 303 epps it would be a better cat gun

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
where is the turtle

He is waiting for you in that wood chipper down the street.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandpa gave me his old Stevens Mod 124 12 ga shotgun and it still shoots good.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my grand dad's Mod 90 in .22 WRF. Full patina, dark but unblemished wood, action's excellent and barrel with some pits. Vintage 1910, and he was the first owner at age 11. That was a man who cut a wide swath in Central Florida way back then, and he didn't care for crats one damn bit. Someday it will bark, something will meow, and it won't be the first time it's heard that melody. thumb

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.MightHaveTo.WriteAnArticle

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was given a bolt action .410, minus the bolt, the magazine tube, and who knows what else. Plus it has "Cooner" carved into the stock. Just hangs on a set of whitetail antlers in the garage as a memory.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"