New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ditch tiger.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The ditch tiger eased over the pond dam with a quick rush as I walked down to the pond. Luckily for me the Remington 510 was along for the fishing trip along with a '6'6" Lightning Rod flippin stick. The 22 was for the turtles and the lightnin rod for largemouths.

Nice late afternoon day in May here in central Iowa. Got to exercise some large mouths, nothing big but still fun. The turles didn't co-operate as the land owner has been after them pretty hard. While fishing I kept my eyes open for the white ditch tiger to reappear. It took an hour for the ditch tiger to reveal himself. With the fading light and iron sights I made a bad shot and hit him too far back. It amazes me that a ditch tiger that is completely white, thinks he can can sneak off without being seen.......And now I had a mess to deal with.

Well here it is almost dark and I have to go and sort out this CRAT. In fading light I wondered if I needed to go borrow a double rifle in 375 flanged or go with a shotgun with 00 buck.....With an elevated heart beat I head into the jess to get this crat sorted out. Each step I'm wondering how this crat is going to come for me......I'm in the zone, remember don't shoot to soon my remmy 510 is not a controlled round feed....Good blood trail early then trickles off to nothing....Not wanting to leave a gimp'd ditch tiger for another fisherman to sort out I pressed on in the failing light. Not wanting to loose simba to the coons, skunks, and possums I suck it up. Alas I see a white patch at the base of a multi flowered rose....Real thick jess...not moving, will he come for me if I shout?

Drawing strength from Sullivan I put the 510 in my left hand and position my lightnin rod just so and flick Mr. Ditch Tiger in the stomach, I will make him come for me.......Wrong move, simba awakens and reduces my lightnin rod down to 6' in a flash of blood streaked white fury. The lightnin rod gets hung in the thorns and I let it fall....Standing my ground Mr. Ditch Tiger gives me a 'whhhhaaaaaaeerrrrrrr' vocal while sliding into thicker stuff. Wishing I had shooting sticks, I stood my ground and released my battery directly into the shoulder. My heart rate slows, the ditch tiger has been vanquished, fearing the 100 yard walk back to the bakkie I make a hard choice.....In the end it is the only rational choice, leave the 6" piece of lightnin rod in the jess, tough call but a new tippet later I will have a very nice spinnerbait rod........Simba is dead I envision dancing figures and a massive feast.....Dr Pepper and Corn Nuts don't sound half bad for the long ride home........

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Bravo,layoutman,welcome to this forum.
From your story, you will fit right in.
Too bad about the turtles.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Layoutman,

Wow! Eeker Cool!

Welocme to the Small Game Hunting Forum, a good write-up.

Personally, I wouldn't bother going through all the hassle reparing that Lightning Rod. Just sharpen what ever's remaining of the splintered end and fish from the second ring. That way if you get into a similar predicament you can just spear 'em.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Great action. You were lucky you had the 510 and steady nerves. Many are not equal to the task and get pussywhipped.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going need waders just to read this sight jumping

welcome to the new member beer

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Layout, very good! Welcome to our ~world! Appears to be a tale of mixed blessings, sorry about the lightning stick. I've tried to impress on many the value of a 7' kill gaff for such escapades, but they mostly just ignore me. Frowner The Remmy is a good choice though, don't let anyone tell you different. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.BustedCrat.InTheThickStuff

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a bang stick for just that sort of use. I figure why screw around with a silencer to pop garden outlaws in the trap...use the critter as the silencer!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody good show! I suppose this could revive the debate as to whether shotguns are good stoppers for Crats in heavy cover. Would a 410 work? Is a 20 ga too much or is there ever too much gun when a man's life is on the line?

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
A 410 is fully adequate in heavy cover if you use #6s in a tight choked gun, stalk carefully, and PUT IT ON "EM!

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote