New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrels from today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

One this morning, not shown and then those two this evening. I thought the red one is picture worthy. It was 29 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail.

This was the first time i ever used a shotgun for squirrel. Sure makes it easy! My stepdad's ol singleshot Mossburg .410. The red one was an easy shot, 25 or 30 feet away just its head poking from behind a tree. The gray one ran up a big tree and then it jumped to another one and started going higher, way, way up there but i hardly aimed at all and nailed it.

When i skinned the big red one, pellets were falling out, but one of them looked real big and...familiar. It was an 22 cal pointed airgun pellet. In buck season, i wasn't seeing anything but squirrels and so i took the pellet gun along one evening. I remember shooting a squirrel and it made a nice thud. Must have hurt the pellet more than the squirrel, the pellet was bent.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker: thanks for shareing the pix.. I used to hunt what we called "fox squirrels" in Michigan, and they shared the woodlots with grey and black phase grey squirrels.. we used 22 rimfires.. great practice for high-power rifle deer hunting to follow in a month or so..the best part was the squirrel and biscuit pie my mom would make.. yummy!!... Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote