Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

crat trap question
 Login/Join

posted
Jamon has been out of town and his ol'lady was over visiting with the Mrs and I over heard her talking of the crat problem. I have gave up on Jamon to fix the problem but I dont want his first born to become acclimated to any crats so I will accept this mission.

My question is about the garbage can trap.
If you fill the bottom half of a large can full of water and suspend bait over it will the crats jump directly into the can or will they hesitate on the rim.I dont want any rim jobs I want them crats in the hole. Should I use some kind of false floor to hide the water? Once a crat is inside any idea on how long they can swim in frigid water? Am thinking a swimming cold crat should be a quiet crat. Sound is of concern as I don't need the neighbors rescuing any victims.
If this system is a bust I am settling on the conibear in a box gag.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Jamon must've been adopted............damn crat loving S.O.B...........

Posts: 21 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of garbage cans by the wood pile.

Posts: 47 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even real cold water will get you a bunch of yowling fit to raise the dead Big Grin
Have you considered a can of sardines setting on a rubber pad on a piece of sheet tin and hooked up to 220 volts? Wink

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Best method is a recently opened tuna can, a havahart, and a can/drum full of water.

When crat springs trap, well, you can figure out what to do with the drum of water.. thumb

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Fill the can half full of water and then put about 8 inches of those styrofoam pranuts on top of the water..

When the crat starts to squall the peanuts will deaden the sound.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Combine these two ideas. Bait on top is fine but use an explosive and an electric firing devise on the bottom of the barrel. Nibble,slip, whump, astronaut crat! gunsmile
That bent enough for you HTRN! Wink derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd like to try combining Ned's Bowling game with the trash can half full of water. Call it Crat Splash Fever... or Slam Dunk Pussy... Confused

Dan

POTYHC

www.BlameItAll.OnTedNugent

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Pardon me DD, but using a bowling ball to press the water from a freshly washed Pussy is somewhat antiquiey. As I recall, N.S. has a spring powered Crat launcher out back and incorporating it underneath said half-filled barrel would make for a perty good spin cycle, a bit more modern if you will.

And now for tommorow's forecast: Might be raining Crats and barrels somewhere in Ohio.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Actually, right now I am working on a device to gently deposit a freshly trapped cat into a top-loading industrial clothes washer, starting the "agitate like hell" cycle for tough cat problems when the tub was full of them, and then automatically shifting gears to the "bet ya can't out runit spin cycle" before spitting the freshly laundered crats into a laundry basket step just before the "mangle" finishing cycle starts. Where is HTRN when I need his expert advice on things electro-mechanical?

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember a night in the dorm when we gave a cat a long ride in a commercial clothes dryer. Not that the cat was wet or anything (at least at the beginning). Sure made for a lot of thumping and yowling.

Then there was this night we caught a possum, put it on the elevator, and sent it to the top floor . . . .

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Yes the trash can half full of water and foam penuts realy work.... put about 12'' of penuts on the water and put soft cat food on them.

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I really have to think about this peanut punji pit thing!

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I sneak home to see the wife and child and what do I see? The local crats have continued to crap in the flower beds in front of the house. TFL- I thought you were on the job. Garbage cans are on the north side of the house and the crat trap is on the west side. Digital camera is inside.

Posts: 47 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to get rid of a kitty silently but lethally, I would reccommend using a trash can as a cubby. Put the bait in the back and mount a conibear in the opening. Cut a piece of cardboard or plywood so the beast has to use the opening and go through the conibear to get to the bait.

This setup is quiet and deadly.

MG