Find
Notify
Tools

My Trophy Room
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted
My room was added to the back of the house as a result of the first trip to Africa. It is 15' x 25' and after 4 trips has become too small. Will the wife allow spillage out into the adjoining living room ? That remains to be seen.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Eric: How high is the apex of your trophy room? That eland looks "tiny" in there so I'm guessing you have at least 15' ceilings? jorge

PS: very nice!

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
16' at the apex of the cieling.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Good looking addition Eric. If the wife doesn't allow spillover, does that mean no more trips to Africa?? The room wouldn't be complete without a waterbuck, sable, Big 5, etc... so hopefully more trips are allowed!

Could you zoom in on the pic frames under the lechwe/gemsbok? Looks like 4 pics matted with rounded (dowl rod) edges? Neat look, whatever they are.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Good looking room!

How did you get the Zebra skin to hang so nicely on the wall? I have a hard enough time keeping the one on my floor from getting wrinkled and curled. Also, what flavor of Bushbuck is that on the pedestal? I'd love to see a close up of that, very attractive. Thanks! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I wish I had a new room with vaulted cielings!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
It's a nyala, not a bushbuck.

And the frames are old home made frames I found in an old friends shed years ago, and he gave them to me.

The zebra is felted and I just hammered a few nails in it where it hung the flattest. So far so good.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Eric, that is an awsome way to display the nyala with the back skin drapped over the pedestal. Nyala are my favorite animal and the way you had yours mounted complements him very well. Who does your taxidermy work? Nice looking trophy room.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NICE! I like the space between trophies, allows better appreciation.
BTW that is a really nice kudu, how many inches was it?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Eric - Sorry, I can see now that it is clearly an Nyala. I like the way you worked the backskin into the pedestal - a very nice mount indeed. Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys.....that kudu is a real blessing. He is 63". Also it was my wife's idea to wrap the pedestal with the backskin. She also supervised the placement of the trophies. A pretty good job for an anti and dyed in the wool bunny hugger. ( hence my one and only room in the house)

one of us
posted Hide Post
VEEERY NICE! The photos alongside are a nice touch.

Wow! This scary familiar. I am expecting my trophies from my first African hunt to be ready from the taxidermist any day now. My wife has decided that we need an addition to house a trophy room (and how can I argue with that?). We have decided to extend the back side of the house (30 feet wide) for about 15 feet. It will be one story but with high ceilings as the addition connects with a continuous roof line from the present second story. Sound familiar?

The wood on your walls is exactly what I had in mind, with a stone fireplace to boot.

Ok - you have done what I plan to do (God willing). So let me pick your brain. Do you have any advice? Anything that you would do different if you had it to do over again (besides - "make it bigger")? Anything that I should be especially careful of or watch out for?

Any input on windows or lack of them? I was considering a walk out, glass walled sun room on the south end of the trophy room. I don't think it would cause excessive heat (certainly no more than the fireplace). Any thoughts on that idea?

And thanks in advance for any input guys. All advice is welcome!

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Great looking stuff. I'm still waiting for my 12 critters to make the return flight from Africa, but I'm sure getting some nice ideas from the threads in this section. I kept the backskin from my gemsbok only, so I might do what you did, especially since I'll be building all my own pedestals for the ones I have mounted that way. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Mssgn, the walls are hard coat painted a light tan with the accents at the front and rear painted a darker tan. The speakers for the TV are in the corners with the speaker covers painted the same color. I have 3/4 plywood behind the plaster so I can drive a nail antwhere for anything. The room itself is block so the heads are hung on 2 1/2" TAP CONS. You could hang on their necks and they won't come down. Keep as much outside light out as you can, though, as the UV fades trophies bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric:

Thanks for the tips!
I was actually concerned about having too little natural light but I guess I won't worry about it. The addition will be squeezed in between the house and the hill tight behind it, so not much light will come in at all.

I'll watch out for it though.

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote