New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunlight in trophy room
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a house that has a large room with tall ceilings. Will hang my 25 or so mounts there. There are several windows in the exterior wall of this room. I don’t think that direct sunlight will hit the mounts, but there will be lots of sun light in the room.
Some one suggested that I have the windows tinted to block uv and ir rays.
Eliminating the windows is a non starter.

Any experience on this or recommendations?

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Any light is detrimental, but mounts are no fun in the dark.

As long as they are not in direct sun-light you should be ok.

Not sure how many years you have left on this planet, but some kind of UV tint or coating will extend them longer.

I am not sure I am done with taxidermy after we lost all of ours in a storage unit fire. The cost of taxidermy keeps you from hunting.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had special windows installed in my TR that filter UV light. I agree with BWW; a dark room with no windows is pretty dreary and looks weird unless your TR is in the basement.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
My living room has 18' ceilings and the north facing wall is basically all windows. I only have one mount in the living room, so I have not been in a rush to work on them. But you can buy a film (window tint) that is clear, but will block UV. You can tint darker if need be (I had to tint the windows on the E/W walls of the living room, morning and evening sun really heats the room).

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all my windows tinted. However, I would just put blinds in. I would get the blinds the "roll". You can get different grades that will let varying degrees of sunlight in. You can also get blinds that will work with a remote.

We just installed them in our school and our local city office. They look really nice, easy to use, and you can leave the down when you are not in your room.

That is the route I would go....

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Yes, get the windows at least UV filmed. It will save everything from a early demise - paint, flooring, furniture, mounts, etc. You should really get the whole house done.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Be careful which product you choose if adding window film/tint, especially if you have insulated (dual pane) windows. Since almost all films are installed on the interior pane (room side) of the window, the sun reflecting off of the tint will cause the airspace in between the glass to heat up. Depending upon the product one chooses, the temperature increase can be substantial. With the higher air space temperature comes a higher risk of seal failure (fogged glass) in the window. Make sure to look at your window manufacturers warranty as most will deny any type of seal failure claim if aftermarket tint is installed. Some companies though, will back up the window warranty when installing there product if a seal failure does happen......to a point. 3M I believe still does. Make sure to read the fine print though.

One other thing to mention is that UV is not the only culprit when it comes to fading. Visible light, solar heat, interior lighting and even fabric dye type/quality lead to fading. In fact, only about 40-45% of fading is caused by UV.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote