New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-construction suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After long and hard negotiations I have finally been granted permission to put up some trophies. In the basement of the next house.

But I view this as a victory nonetheless as we have an accepted offer on our house and need to start building the next one pronto.

What I am envisioning is a little scoth and cigar haven. Wall paneling, Chesterfield seats, fireplace and billiards table. You know, the kind of place Ron Burgundy and the Dos Equis guy would call home.

Are there any features those of you with completed trophy rooms wish you would have thought of, or had the opportunity to do, while the house was being built? I am contemplating the hidden-gunroom thing. I have about 87'x25' to play with. The fire place will be about 25' from one of the short sides, along the long side near the door into the room. I might not use all 87', in favor of a wine cellar at the other end. Suggestions?

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Lots of lights
3/4 inch plywood over the studs (hang anything anywhere)
Separate ventilation system if you like cigars
Lots of Cat-5 and coax. HDMI might be a good idea too.
In wall or in ceiling speakers
Don't leave out anything that you want or think that you might want. The easiest time to do these things is in construction, not after.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plywood is a good idea,I will do that. I will also definitely do ventilation. I need to look into whether the room also needs to be sealed somehow. Anyone have any experience with that? I need to make sure smoke or smell does not seep into the rest of the house (living room will be right above)or I will have to smoke outside again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plywood around entire room for sure. Make sure it is at least a 10' ceiling. I put 2x12 blocking about 3-4' down from top to cover any big animals that might be too much for plywood. About 18" off wall in ceiling put little mr16 lights to wash down wall and eliminate shadows on wall. Again, as previously said lots of lights, i prefer some type track lights or the lights on a cable that can be adjusted to shine where you need them. Also make sure there are double doors to get big things in and out. Make it bigger than you think. I started mine 30'x30' and the day the guy was digging out I made it 40'x30', am so glad i did.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need for blocking if you go the plywood route. You can hang any mount short of an elephant on the plywood. Tall ceilings will be the biggest advantage, but in a basement this might not be possible. A strong second on the oversize door / access.
Many houses the size you are contemplating have either multiple HVAC units or a zonal system. A separate system for the basement should greatly help the smoke issues. With a typical drywall ceiling and walls, the basement will be sealed from the rest of the house aside from doors or hallways. Get a high efficiency filter system in this HVAC unit and you should be set.
Lighting is always an important consideration, and much depends on the ceiling height to determine the best option.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Also, think now about the custom touches that will make your room that much more special upon completion.

My single regret is not having more display areas for nick nacks, curios, books, relics, plaques, skulls, photos, etc.

Things to think about now include built in gun racks/cabinets, custom cabinetry, display shelves, book shelves, bars, storage, home theater, tv projectors, drop down movie screen, etc.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basements can be difficult for trophy rooms.
I'll give you my experiences and thoughts, but remember, everything about this room will be personal and should reflect you and be about your memories. Your building options will dictate most of what you can do, but I'll give you optimum's.
First, optimum height is 12 to 14 feet. Too high and you can't see the details of the displays, to low and you can't hang large antlered animals high enough.
Next the environment conditioning system. I have a seperate commercial air handling system, just for this room, that filters, heats, cools and humidifies the air. I have sensors in the room that tell the system to allow 5% outside air into the system when the room is occupied, when unoccupide the system is closed. In a basement you might have to de-humidify. Make sure you try and hide the supply and return registers from view. My main return register is under the last 4 steps that desend into the room (my room is set 4 feet lower than the main floor of the house).I have a heated concret floor in the room and in a basement that would be a nice touch.
Lighting is exceptionally important and a lot of people make mistakes with it. You need to wash down the walls them have a row farther out that directs light onto the displays. This combination will keep shadows to a minimum. I have close to 150 lights in my room, mostly recessed and the lighting is outstanding (not perfect, but good). Bank the lighting with a low voltage system so you can control the aspects of the lighting levels. Any display cases need internal lighting if at all possible. I spent as much on the case lighting as I did have them built, but it's worth it. It was difficult to do as the case dimensions were all different, we designed the sizes for specific display items.
As others have said, install 3/4" plywood as backer, everywhere. Select an easy to repair wall texture finish and neutral colors. One thing is for certain, you will move the displays and you want to be able to repair the holes easily. Remember the art (animals) displays are the real stars, the room is a tasteful medium to support them.
Wood flooring sets the room off nicely but most woods are soft, I went with cork in my room, and it's holding up well. Also I installed bamboo wainscot with a maple chair rail.
Having a double door is a must if you have large displays and windows should be kept to a minimum (you might not have this issue if the room is below grade) and UV resistant shades must be installed and almost never raised. With larger rooms, floor space is not as much a issue as wall space. I put a see through fire place in the middle of my room to break it up and to add more wall space.
An in room bar is also a nice touch and can add another medium for displays. I had the local art professor do sketches of animal faces and these were etched into copper plating that was put on the face of the bar. I also had open display cases put in the bar, which are being used for fine wine display.
As others have said, sound and TV system wiring, if desired need to be developed before construction concludes. Don't be bashful with regards to power outlets, but try to make them blend in. Make sure you install floor outlets for lamps or other floor mounted items. We thought about where we would put the christmas tree and put a floor outlet in just for that. Power outlets should go in display cases and on mantle tops also.
I'm sure there will be lots of advice coming your way. I'm sure you'll have a ball designing, and constructing YOUR room.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing I did was to keep all sunlight out and to only use fade free bulbs in all fixtures. If you have to have a window, make sure to put a filter on it. The taxidermy you spent so much to collect and that signifies such important memories, can be noticeably faded in just a month by unfiltered sun or artificial light. After 13 years, my taxidermy looks the same as in the photos of the animal in the field. (Light, heat, humidity and bugs are the dangers).

I do not know if light is an issue with tusks and teeth. Also I do not know how it affects artificial fish mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, with all that stuff built in, it sounds like you have a combination Trophy Room/Self-Gratification spa :-)

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Rick,
The plywood is the way to go, and can be 1/2". The weak link is the mounting hardware, not the plywood. Have drywall put over the plywood, and ask for a smooth finish. That way if you move a trophy, all you have to do is putty the hole and touch up paint. Harder to do on a textured wall.
Also, look at track lighting, so as you add trophies, you can add lights. I'm near the end of remodeling my trophy room (nothing fancy) and have posted pics in the Trophy Room forum.

Will,
It's easy to add built in display niches between the studs in the wall. Even a diy project if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I have put some thought into lighting and am leaning toward a LV track system. I had not considered the need to wash the walls with light from up close as well as a second row to direct light to what is displayed. I will definetely do that.

I am very tempted to do a gunroom with a hidden door, but I also want to display them...

I am also toying with an idea of a built in gunrack with an electrically or hydraulically operated panel that would slide in front of the rack. The panel matching the surrounding wall panels in apearance. The idea being that when I'm away, the panel would be in place and it would simply look like a panelized wall.
Perhaps a little too James Bond, but it's a tempting thought.

It will likely be a few months before I have the basement formed and poured but I will keep you posted as I progress. And please, keep the tips and suggestions coming.

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at LED lights. I use alot of these in newer homes. You can get LED track lights also. They have all the great features(cost to operate,long life and can dim them , colors) and only down side is the original cost.

I would put a gun room with a safe door. Browning makes doors that look like a six panel door they are full sized(6'8").The door kit is about the same price as a safe. You will want to make the ceiling fireproof also. You will need to have a reverse brick ledge poured in the walls and set some precast concrete panels over it for the ceiling. I have built the hidden door into many homes and the novelty will where off quickly.

Could use it for a panic room also. Good Luck

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make the ceilings at least 12 feet.

In my case, I have Bison and Zebra full rugs, and they take up a space two sheets of drywall wide and a full sheet (8'x8')in height.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Make the ceilings at least 12 feet.

In my case, I have Bison and Zebra full rugs, and they take up a space two sheets of drywall wide and a full sheet (8'x8')in height.

What he said. My plains bison skin takes up 10 feet so it's on it's side. In case of a giraffe mount you would surely need a hole in the upstairs floor. Wink
I would go 24 volt LED floods with solar panels and the new Iron Edison batteries. Uh but I'm not sure if your down by me or in eastern WA though.

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duke, I'm down in SW, in the Columbia Gorge. But, we have revised the drawings, and still not broken ground, aarrgh! We are doing away with the basement and putting it under one of the wings which will be built during "phase two".

Instead, I have secured permission to put trophies upstairs. Primarily in my study but also in the foyer, and then we'll see how much I can spread out after that...

Which reminds me of another question I have for you Africa vets. Apart from Zebra, which plainsgame make for the best looking rugs in your opinions?

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick O'Shay:
Duke, I'm down in SW, in the Columbia Gorge. But, we have revised the drawings, and still not broken ground, aarrgh! We are doing away with the basement and putting it under one of the wings which will be built during "phase two".

Instead, I have secured permission to put trophies upstairs. Primarily in my study but also in the foyer, and then we'll see how much I can spread out after that...

Which reminds me of another question I have for you Africa vets. Apart from Zebra, which plainsgame make for the best looking rugs in your opinions?

So are you East of Camas and Washougal or the paper mill? At least your not on the Freak Show side of the river with all the Lalla Pallooza Dreadlocks Feasties.
Who would you need to secure permission from to put those fine trophy's upstairs?
As far as rugs go my gal looks best on a Zebra skin rug. Yes I have a pic. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double your budget-----------

rotflmo

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I'm east of that mess about half an hour.

It is my actually rather tolerant wife that I must defer to when "decorating with dead animals". But, as she isn't complaining about me leaving her at home with two small children while I'm off hunting in Europe and Africa for three weeks (leaving Friday), I think it's a small price to pay.

I'm pretty sure there is a zebra rug in my future, but also wondering if any other plains game make nice rugs?

Any of you guys keep Kudu or Wildebeest capes for rugs?

One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
I got backskins from a kudu and waterbuck tanned and hung them over two endtables : they look great and really add something to my trophy room.

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick O'Shay:
Yup, I'm east of that mess about half an hour.

It is my actually rather tolerant wife that I must defer to when "decorating with dead animals". But, as she isn't complaining about me leaving her at home with two small children while I'm off hunting in Europe and Africa for three weeks (leaving Friday), I think it's a small price to pay.

I'm pretty sure there is a zebra rug in my future, but also wondering if any other plains game make nice rugs?

Any of you guys keep Kudu or Wildebeest capes for rugs?

That's funny. Barbie eye oogles the mounts at Bass Proshop like a Leopard watching and Impala. She says, that'll be us someday. I could put a rifle in here hand and a hunting license in the other and she would be like a crack head with a stolen credit card. lol
But of course she grew up hunting, fishing and horse-ing around.

Here's a stock pic of our Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Another great looking rug is giraffe. Leave the neck on, and it can be a runner down the stairs. Wink
I'm leaving in two months for leopard, but giraffe is on my list too.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting at the lounge in Joburg waiting for my flight home. Had a great trip. 54.5" kudu, gemsbok, zebra, impala, warthog. And some management animals I was asked to take. The blue Wildebeest skunked me! I ended up with all european and flat skins. But of course I have some time before I get them. In the meantime my black bear should be coming and I'll need to finish mounting last years deer and elk.

Oops, flight is boarding

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use wall carpet over the plywood. When you move something you dont have to do anything the hole just cant be seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
High ceilings are a must, 8 feet does not cut it.
My hunting buddy is raising the ceiling in his house ($$$$) so his Kudu does not have his chin on the floor. I got lucky and I have 14’ in the living room to play with.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love that massive bison rug. How would it do on the floor with mild traffic?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote