Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon taxidermists?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Can anyone suggest a taxidermist in Oregon or very close by who does good work on African plains game?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16518 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Bill, Give Rick Leach a try. He's located out near PDX and has won awards worldwide. All my stuff from this years Tanzania safari are heading his way. I visited his shop and was impressed and have seen his work at local SCI meets as well. My last safari I used Jim August. He does good work but he's a stuffed shirt to deal with (putting it politely).

Years past I used Artistic Taxidermy for everything but David Boys, the owner, retired a couple years ago and tragically just drowned a few days ago while duck hunting in Tillamook Bay. His obit was in today's Oregonian. I'll look at the mounts he did for me differently now.

Rick's Web site

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Edited: This guy is not only a great Master taxidermist but a nice guy as well. He wins awards regularily. He's in Klamath Falls. I can personally recommend him. There is another "well known" in the area but I don't take stuff to him. Nate

R J Simington

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. E-mails in to both.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16518 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second, no third, Rick Leach. I am staring at a Cape Buff head in my office and it is great

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
I will fourth Rick Leach. He has done a number of African mounts for myself and family members and all of them turned out excellent. He also does very nice european mounts as well.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

We have used Rick Leach several times and he was great but real busy. We started having a guy named Cory Wright who used to work for Rick that has won awards for his habitat work. He also does a lot of African animals but like everyone else is he is also getting real busy. But worth the wait. It is just nice to have two great taxidermists in our area. Mike

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote