THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    Trophy room wall color suggestions - painted finally

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy room wall color suggestions - painted finally
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
so i am a very typical man in the sense that i cannot see colors all that well, and i have trouble matching things. my wife prefers a color palette that i do not like for a trophy room, and i am trying to find a good color for the walls.

my "trophy room" is my office, with 9' ceilings, and is approximately a 12'x12' room.

i will have a mule deer shoulder mount, 2 whitetails; eventually an impala, a dark green gun safe, and some antler mounts/euro mounts.

the trim is white, my desk is a dark espresso stain. there is one 58" window in the room.

i've looked at lots of pics online, and it seems that even though dark greens, dark khakis' are popular, the animals seem to blend into those colors more than i prefer.

i also do not want white walls, but the animals seem to stand out more on lighter walls. however, a lot of these lighter walls also have lots of wood in the room, to offset the light paint.

my preference of paints are usually bold, historic type colors (benjamin moore historic collection for example).

the wife has picked a grey palette for the rest of the house. she likes greys, i like browns, i lose this battle. if my office can somewhat go with the rest of the greys in the house, fine, if not, eh, i can close the door.

are there preferred colors of walls that really make taxidermy pop without being too close to white paint? eventually there will be darker wood floors in here as well, once we replace this carpet.

thank you for your opinions
john

OK update:
painted it this weekend. i will never paint another wall a deep red. took 6 coats to cover. the other 3 walls are a cream color. i still need to bring 2 more whitetail shoulder mounts in, and my impala and blue wildebeest pedestal will go in there somewhere...

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
Some of the off whites, like Bone are nice. I have a color from Lowes Valspar called Cream in my Coffee in eggshell that I put a tobacco glaze over. I also like it without the glaze, but with a trowel finish on the walls, the glaze adds a little depth and warmth to the wall.

Sherwin Williams is probably the best brand out there, but Valspar is the best value. As a contractor, I use both, it depends on what I'm working on. In my house, it's all Valspar paint.

You might find it hard to get Benjamin Moore paint. They only have a few locations and I always have it mixed at Lowes using Valspar paint. They have their codes at the store, so you just tell them what color you want and they look it up.

I also tell clients to spend the money on half a dozen samples and put them up on the wall big enough to get a feel for each color. Wait at least a day, with a week being better before deciding, or getting more samples. Paint has to be on your wall for you to know what it will look like!!!!

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
thanks eddie. yeah, there are samples all over my house right now with the wife picking all the colors!

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find dark colors--I like green--provide a good background.

Here's a link to an old post I put on this forum when I lived in Atlanta.

I painted the walls dark green on advice of a decorator who told me the dark stained beams--as well as the mounts--would contrast better with a dark color on the walls.

Here's the link: http://forums.accuratereloadin...=683102244#683102244

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've posted pictures of my trophy room on this forum before, but basically my room is 30'x30' with 9.5' side walls and a 14' open beam ceiling. I think that lighter colors show the animals and horns best.

My side walls are painted light grey over a troweled finish plaster. The big wall at the end of the room is unstained cedar boards in an alternating herringbone pattern.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a cream color in my trophy room and like it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
X2 on light gray

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like ones with texture
You can get the Suede look with a couple of cans of Ralph Lauren at Home Depot.
Gives a very rich look and feel and doesn't take much effort.
Not sure if you have looked but I personally find that to be a great match with the feel of my taxidermy
Very warm feel and to me matches well with the fur and game

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
thanks folks. i have a ton of swatches to sort through. we have knock-down textured walls in the house to give it some texture. i have swatches from dark red, light to dark browns, dark blue, greys, etc... one of these days i'll try to make up my mind and post pictures

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of converting a bedroom into a trophy room and library. The wife and I decided separately from patches we picked up from the Valspar samples at Home Depot. I say separately because we decided on the same colors from several possibilities without interaction.
Our choices were Bright white ceiling, Silky White walls with one accent wall of Nouveau Copper and very dark trim including a built in Oak bookshelf. Floor is Haiwian Curly Koa Premium Pergo. Almost done at this point and looks great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in a crackerbox of a house. my trophy room is about 12x12 as well, but only has 7 foot ceilings. I went with a dark burgundy wall color and I like it. Here is a shot from a couple years ago.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i like it Rob.
I think i have decided on one dark red wall and the other three a light grey or beige. gotta install the wainscoting; new vent hood, and cooktop this week before i can start on painting. these honey-do's never end!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the burgundy Rob H used too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red!!!

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Argh!
I can't get a photo to post. Please IM me with your email if you want to pictures of my room. Red walls make the animals pop! I wouldn't use it on all four. One or two will highlight.

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going with light colors for a long time, then I saw what Huffaker was doing with the mounts he posts and noted all the dark colors he uses to show off the mounts. So I thought burgundy might work.

Here is one of Jerry's photos of my dads gemsbok.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
got paint, i forget the exact colors, but a dark deep red with a beige... be a couple weeks before i can get it primed and painted, but i'll post pics when its done.

thanks for the suggestions/photos

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
finally done, until i get new mounts in here in a few months...