Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Frans' nooks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted
Cool plaque the elk/red deer is mounted on, it reminds me of an arrowhead. Did you use a bow to harvest and make that plaque yourself?

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tiny antlers are of roe deer, a deer very common in Europe, smaller than a whitetail, about the size of a barnyard dog. I shot about a dozen and a half of those. My first three bucks are in the middle of the second picture.

The red deer plaques, the dark one, is just over-the-counter stuff, but in this case most likely supplied by the taxidermist who did the mounting. I usually do it my self, but at the time I didn't have a large enough pot to boil the skull properly, nor a decent saw, so my dad took it to the taxidermist for me. It was shot with a 9.3x62 (both red deer on that same plaque). Bowhunting is illegal in most of Western Europe, where I resided at that time...in all of it probably.

The other, lighter coloured plaque was hand-carved in Poland. A bit archaic looking, but I thought it fit a Polish deer. This was my first one!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the "euro" mounts more all the time.
Makes good $ sense too.
Very nice!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans,

I like the european mounts alot! Very classy looking......!

Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote