THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    OW's Trophy room III as of 4-17-06

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OW's Trophy room III as of 4-17-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Latest photos (as of 4-17) of the new African trophy room -- sans critters as of now.

Tile is all down, light and fan hung and window sills installed. Only thing left in that room is the baseboard trim, which I'm now making.

Once that's done, i'll complete the showy cabinets/shelves in the old family room part and start hanging the animals.

Other than the TV, the furniture in the room is all temporary. I'll be building a new rustic dining table and entertainment center to match the rest of the wood.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed, Tony. I'm thinking hard of doing a similar expansion, only I wish I ahd your talent! good job! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Looks good, hope to see it with the animals on the wall.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Batman

I was at your place 3 weeks ago and it was a mess. You have been busting our butt. Nice job. I think I'll stop by for a beer and listen to your lies-- I mean hunting stories jumping beer

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and it looks like it will be light enough to show off your trophies very well. Good job!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking better and better, I like the floor good choise.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Very nice. From the picures, it looks like you have a lot of outdoor light coming into the room. You may want to consider a quality UV film for your windows, such as the offerings from 3M. I had it placed on my windows in my Study to avoid any possible fading. I hardly notice mine, and it actually improves the view outside making colors truer.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffy,

Plenty of light, indeed. It was one thing my wife wanted. Plus, all those windows make it nice here right now. Because of the mild temps, we're able to keep them open day and night with no heat or AC going.

Blaser,

The tiles in the addition are also in my old trophy room, the living room, kitchen and entry halls. Knowing I would eventually add that room, I bought enough a couple years ago so the color lots would match.

Mau,

I had all of the insulated windows in that room custom made with a built-in high UV factor film. The only ones that actually get direct sunlight thru them are the two fixed pane ones on the high wall, so I also added a layer of Gila heat/UV control film to them. Three of the large windows are north facing and the other faces east but under a patio roof; they receive no direct sun at any time. The skylights also have a high UV factor. -TONY

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Your sense of design and building skills are truly IMPRESSIVE! How do you find time to freelance and be active in OW groups?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So when is your first issue of "Big Game Hunting and Recreational Carpentry" coming out.

Looks great. Can't wait to see it all loaded up.

H4L

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So when is your first issue of "Big Game Hunting and Recreational Carpentry" coming out.

Now there's a thought! Big Grin

Hey, Bill want to be my editor?

The funny thing about my designing is I tend to wing it by the seat of my pants and get most ideas while I'm lying on the couch watching the idiot box. In fact, I got my brain fart for what my wife calls " your most outstanding project" that way.

She woke up one morning and when she came out to the family room where I was already drinking my coffee, I said to her, "How would you like to have a kicthen to kill for?"

So...about a year later..she did. I completely gutted the dining room and old kitchen and made it into one big room with all new cabinets I built from scratch from the same recycled pine I'm still using. The house, built in 1958, never had a dishwasher or dispoal; it does now. Only thing I had done by someone else were the counter tops because of the 180 deg. rounded edge she wanted. I installed them, however.

Here are several shots of the finished kitchen. -TONY

The backsplash is Mexican Talavera tile. Upper center cabinet has adjustable glass shelves behind the glass doors. Glass rack will hold about 48 glasses, and the wine racks hold eight bottles. Trim around the ceiling is actually three layers of sheetrock -- 7, 5 and 3 inches wide -- to make like a crown molding effect.

The pot rack is made from copper PLUMBING and heavy gauge electrical ground wire serves as the pot hooks.

This is the 8' long center island, which is on wheels. So it can be used as buffet server anywhere in the house. Left door pulls rather than swings out. It holds two large garbage cans -- one for normal trash and the other for recyclable stuff. Second door has a two-shelf lazy Susan in it. The two cabinets on the right have two shelves each that are on drawer guides to pull out. Both ends have shelves for cookbooks and misc. items.

All the knobs, drawer pulls, sink hardware and even the switch plates are copper.

These door inserts, which are above the nuker and the fridge, are 5 mil copper glued to 1/8" birch. Pattern was enlarged from a scan of the backsplash tile pattern and transferred to the copper by tracing with a pencil. I then used an awl to punch along the lightly etched lines.

About 90% of the lower cabinet and island shelves are slideouts like these three for spices, etc.

A view from the new addition back into the kitchen.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Tony.

I repeat: I'm impressed.

I've been building a cabin in Greer, Arizona, for the past 30 years and won't finish it in my lifetime. Your project seems nearly complete.

I'd be honored to edit your book.

Bill

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing some serious potential... I'm just not handy enough to do it myself, I'll have to make enough scratch to pay someone else to take care of it!!!!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DH,

Paying someone is always an option, but I would hate to even wonder about the cost for something like I did. Right now, I have just under $6K in the WHOLE enchilada!

Bill,

Don't feel bad; I've been remodeling and building on to this place since 1981. So I'm not far behind you in years. Big Grin -TONY