Find
Notify
Tools

Re: SnakeLover's Great Room
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted
Thanks for all the kind words. The high ceilings are great, but they also present some challenges.

To hang the eland required two ladders, two guys and folks
holding the ladders, and two lag screws, it ain't moving again! Also having them up so high makes them a bugger to clean, especially since there isn't room between the lower animals to put an extension ladder in between. So the impala and lechwe are taken off and cleaned, then the ladder goes where they were in order to clean the blesboks and bushbuck. You also have to use larger font on the information sheets within the frames so you can read Oh well, trial and error.

Instead of just putting the information in frames like I have done, you might also consider taking the frame, buying a mat for within, then cutting out two 4x6 holes. In one hole, still put the information and in the other put a picture of you and the animal. I'm making myself a pattern now to do this, so figured I would share the idea as well.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Here is the great room here in our home. This room was the reason we actually bought the house - I immediately pictured a leopard laying on the flat platform above the TV/Fireplace! The ceilings are 22'+ so pleanty of space to hang pictures and mounts.

This is the South wall. Sorry about the picture quality, sun is shining in the upper windows this morning.

Here is the West Wall photographed from two different locations, first the fireplace and then at the landing on top of the stairs.

Finally, one picture from above which shows most of the mounts on the two walls.

Hope you enjoy!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophy room! I especially like the lechwe. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great collection....what is in the frame under most of the heads?

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Snakelover,

See my reply to you under my thread, "Outdoor Writer's Room."

-TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Dave - The lechwe is my favorite african animal (thus far)Wink. When I was in RSA in 1999, I saw Chappie Scott's world record black lechwe mounted and decided that if I ever shot a lechwe, I would copy his mount. I think my taxidermist did a wonderful job!

In the frame underneath each animal is a description of the animal, when and where shot, weapon used, etc.. Originally I didn't have them but when folks would stop in my wife couldn't remember what they were, so I put those in to aid her and any visitors.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Your recap of hanging your eland mirrors what my oldest son and I went through with my 60" BC moose. Been there, done that! -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I think your idea of using a framed mat - photo and description is a great idea. If I did it I probably would put them on a separate wall and leave the trophies more spartan. But just have to find an available wall ....

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love your room. I plan on building a house when I get out of the Navy, and I think I want my great room to be something like yours. Awesome collection and presentation too. Nice touch with the frames.

Posts: 37 | Location: Groton, CT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
NitroX - Putting all the frames together might be an option, though it may be a bit much of seeing my smiling mug!

Tyler, if you move up the coast and get stationed in Eastern VA, drop me a line and you can look at the whole house if yuou consider building something.

Brad

posted Hide Post
Looks like you picked the right gal.
My wife would shoot me first.
Fabulous layout ... I'm jealous as heck!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
After some trial and error, I've think this layout is what I've decided to use for the frames.

The font size is large enough to be seen from the floor when high on the wall and having the picture under the text seemed to break up the fact that the shoulder mount was above. Though my wife is thinking the idea Nitro had of lining them all up on anothe wall may be better.

Thoughts??