Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Tusk Bases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
I'd like to see how some of you mounted your tusks on bases. Thanks!

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up my tusks last Friday, oddly enough.
I wanted to avoid having tusks mounted close to the floor, table-top to stay out of harm's way. We have dogs.
I wanted to have them displayed as a unit.
The trim is hide from the bull.
I'm happy with it.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
these are mine, done by Artistry of Wildlife( freq poster here)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13171 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.animalartistry.com/...6BronzeShieldEPB.php

Check photo 16 in attached link. Saw these at the SCI Convention, really beautiful bases.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before. It's a bit different, but my son was young when we came up with this idea and we were concerned about a kid knocking them over. The table idea somehow came out of that concern.

Since the photos were taken we've "dulled" the gold tone on the metal tusk caps.

It was strange cutting holes in a brand new table top, but we're happy with the outcome and it would take a truck to knock them over. The sliding drawer still works since the tusks barely straddle it. I keep copies of the Sports Afield article I wrote about the hunt in the drawer.

I'm no wood working expert, but feel free to PM me for more info if that would help.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Bobby, my tusks from Nixon's safari is bumped to the top.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
I've posted this before. It's a bit different, but my son was young when we came up with this idea and we were concerned about a kid knocking them over. The table idea somehow came out of that concern.

Thank you for reposting those photos. I have been telling myself for a long time that I am going to steal your idea and mount my tusks like yours.

Is the table a stock item, or custom made?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hi Jason,

I put that together about 9 years ago and at the time that table was a standard stock item offered by Bombay Company.

Today I dug around on their website and I don't see anything quite like that now, but my wife recommended checking Ashley Furniture. They seem to have a few things that might work. That was about my only experience ever “shopping” for furniture so there are probably many other great sources that I’m just not familiar with.

At the time I measured a lot of tables and the important thing to keep in mind is the length and radius of the curve of the tusks. It was important to me that the tusks crossed a bit near the bottom of the table and above the top. This particular table fit those criteria with my specific tusks. I also wanted a base on the table to mount the tusks to. That wouldn't be necessary, but I felt it was important. You’ll just need to consider the parameters your specific tusks and your design and find something that will work.

Using a pre-made table is pretty simple… Measuring and figuring out where to cut the holes is a little tougher. You also have to remember that the cross section of the tusk isn't a perfect circle. While expanding the holes there needs to be many trial runs with the tusks to get a fit without huge gaps around the tusks (somebody with more patience and skill than me could have done a MUCH better job than I did!). I taped off the whole top of the table so I wouldn’t scratch it. Then I started the holes with a small drill, expanded them with a jig-saw and finished them with a coarse die grinder. There was a lot of “trial” and luckily not too much “error”.

Wood working is pretty foreign to me, but I know a bit about metal work. So I actually fabricated the metal bands that contoured the tusk shape with a welded cap on the bottom. They were ground smooth and then “distressed” to add some dimension. There is a hidden bolt welded in the bottom of each tusk cap that secures it solidly through the base of the table.

It was a fun project and I think it keeps the tusks a little safer than other display methods… especially in earthquake country.

Please post your photos when you get yours done.

Feel free to contact me any time if I can offer other details.

Best of luck,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:

Sure different and I'd say great idea.

Since the photos were taken we've "dulled" the gold tone on the metal tusk caps.

It was strange cutting holes in a brand new table top, but we're happy with the outcome and it would take a truck to knock them over. The sliding drawer still works since the tusks barely straddle it. I keep copies of the Sports Afield article I wrote about the hunt in the drawer.

I'm no wood working expert, but feel free to PM me for more info if that would help.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of the bases I made myself. Although I would not consider them to be in the same league as some of the others pictured here, I am very happy with how mine turned out. They are zebra wood on top and base, walnut trim and Africa continent, bird eye maple ply for sides. Each is filled with concrete. The brass is a heavy gauge that I rolled and seamed at the back. Trim is elephant leather.

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work for a Canuck Wink

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. You have every right to be proud of those in several ways. Thanks for sharing the photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job folks...Nothing like creating something yourself!...Well done tu2

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A lot of nice mounts! tu2

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Another good idea for mine.
Just got back my two sets from last year

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Kyler, that table is an incredibly classy way to display ivory. One of the nicest I have ever seen. Well done!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote