New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo euro mount ideas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had my two buffalo and blue wildebeest done as just cleaned sculls from my Sept 2017 safari. The wife has "allowed" the front office to also be my trophy room. Her only stipulation was no eyes staring at her while she did work in there. I can live with that (for now). Unfortunately only 8' ceilings, but a decent 13'x20' room.

Looking for interesting ideas for mounting my bull buffalo. It has some nice drops, so I'm hoping to highlight that in how I mount it. I was thinking possibly having a hardwood base built that would display it on a 30* or so angle to lay flat on top of a bar cabinet we are putting in the room? My other thought was one of the skull hooker mounts on the wall, not sure how much adjustability that provides for showing off the hooks.

Any and all thoughts/photos appreciated.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
I had my two buffalo and blue wildebeest done as just cleaned sculls from my Sept 2017 safari. The wife has "allowed" the front office to also be my trophy room. Her only stipulation was no eyes staring at her while she did work in there. I can live with that (for now). Unfortunately only 8' ceilings, but a decent 13'x20' room.

Looking for interesting ideas for mounting my bull buffalo. It has some nice drops, so I'm hoping to highlight that in how I mount it. I was thinking possibly having a hardwood base built that would display it on a 30* or so angle to lay flat on top of a bar cabinet we are putting in the room? My other thought was one of the skull hooker mounts on the wall, not sure how much adjustability that provides for showing off the hooks.

Any and all thoughts/photos appreciated.

Skull hooker probably would be best....unless,someone does some custom base type deal .. I have two like that flat Against my wall, but the skull hooker will allow it to come off the wall nicely to show the drops I think

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I had a small elk euro'ed and used a skull hooker. The wife hated it and down it came. She hated how far out the skull hooker was away from the wall and she did not like look at the skull either. Had to pay another $150 to have the horns mounted on a shield with a cover over the skull. Suggest you check with momma first about the euro skull hooker set up.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. Poyntman, any photos of the skulls on the hookers?

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with the skull hooker - to far out from wall and wife did not like it! It is now in a pile of other bad purchases.

I do have my cape buff and blue wildebeest skulls mounted on boards and my bison skull just skull without board. IMHO, on a white wall, the board looks best, but on a wood paneled wall the skull only looks best. If I can locate pix, I will post here.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of HiDrag
posted Hide Post
Using a skull hooker here.

But I wear the pants in my house bsflag

Surgeon Slut

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
not sure if you are strictly looking at wall mounting options or not. i really like this pedestal i found online.

i may do something similar to my wildebeest euro one of these days. for now, though, i have my wildebeest euro in my book shelf standing vertical. can be seen in here
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1821043/m/7261036032

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In East Africa, you will often see buffalo skull mounts on an oblong plaque that is painted black. The contrast between the white skull and the black horns and black plaque is quite attractive.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
In East Africa, you will often see buffalo skull mounts on an oblong plaque that is painted black. The contrast between the white skull and the black horns and black plaque is quite attractive.

It is my favorite as well.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is this photo not showing ?
It was there before
Would anyone know ?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
looks like you are a victim of the photobucket shakedown. they stopped allowing free image hosting to other sites. i now use imgur to host photos like the one above.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Is it easy ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is showing now ...........(????)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooper, that is simple, elegant, and really classy. The wood gives it lots of character. It makes me want one.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Just received my skull mount and still trying to find the right spot for it.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with a local taxidermist at our SCI chapter dinner in April. Going to bring him my cleaned skulls to have some finishing work and bleaching done. He said he has some examples of wall mounts that will put the skull at a bit of an angle to really see the hooks well. Going to make some decisions when I bring the skulls to him. Still waiting on shipping quotes from the taxi in RSA that did the cleaning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to build a new barn for my buffalo skulls, elk and deer, no room anywhere, but I've slowed down a lot, Thinking I'll let the kid worry about that stuff after Im gone, they deserve that! dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote