New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy advice.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I didn't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I've never had much taxidermy done and I have been drawn for a coveted goat tag here in Alaska. What are your thoughts on a goat mount. I've seen some with just the head and neck and some with the head, neck and shoulders. I've also seen some guys just do either a European mount or a leather covered skull plate and horns on a plaque and had the whole hide tanned for a rug.

If some of you have goat mounts, would you mind sharing some pictures. I am kind of leaning toward the shoulder mount but that's not set in stone yet. Thanks in advance.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
If you have the room, a full body mount would be my choice, followed by a floor pedestal shoulder mount, if room is a problem.
Good luck on your hunt, and start climbing those stairs!! Smiler

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...q2Og_gN&ved=0CB0QsAQ

That's one of those personal things of what do you like and how much room do you have. Nothing is more impressive then a full mount, but they take up a lot of space and will cost a couple grand or more to get done. When I get one, I'll probably go for the front half mount for myself. I did that with my audad and really like it.

Good luck,
Eddie

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't have room for a full body mount but they are impressive. I saw several I liked on the google link. Thanks. These are some that I really liked.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
All are great choices!!! With the white coat, I really think wall color plays a huge part in how it looks too.

Whatever you decide, be sure to cape him way back to his ribs. The more your taxidermist has to work with, the better your results will be.

Eddie

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote