New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Lubricizer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to graduate from Lee's passthru sizer and tumble lube to something that won't make my bullets look like I varnished them. What I want to size/lube initially is .452 LFPs for my 45 Colt and Maxi-Balls for my muzzleloaders. I read somewhere that soft lube will make bullets stick together so I think (yea, I know, I shouldn't do that in public) that I want a hard lube.
What setup works best and is easiest to maintain for you guys-n-gals and why?

much thanks,
Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
12FLVSS, Buy a Star luber. None of the others even come close to being as good as a Star. You can use a heater with hard lube, or just go with a soft lube.

The best Star Lubers are the original ones made in San Diego. They are frequently available used on ebay for $120 to $150. If you buy one on ebay, ask lots of questions to make sure it's in good shape.

If you want a new one, buy one from Magma. My brother-in-law has the Magma Star and it is a fine unit. The people at Magma are great to deal with too.

The Star lubers are at least twice as fast as the RCBS or Lymans, probably 3 times as fast. They work perfect with bevel based bullets if that's what you are casting. I use mine with plain base bullets and bullets with gas checks. They put the lube exactly where you want it. Turbo

Posts: 38 | Location: Tigard, Oregon | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree about the Star or Magma Star lube-sizers. There just is no way any others are as fast or as accurate and you can buy bullet feeders and collators and really speed things up if you need to. I even had an air operated one at one time. It was nice but the air cylender was not large enough for it to size really hard bullets. Wes

Posts: 60 | Location: texas | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another vote for the star

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yet another opinion in favor of the star. Mine came from magma about 5 years ago, and no other sizer has seen my bench since! BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF I was buying my first lube/sizer and IF I had the money to spare, I would by a Star. However, I started with Lyman 43 years ago and have 70 nose punches and over three dozen dies, one 45 and three 450 machines. Having used nothing else, I think the Lyman is just fine.

As far as bullets sticking together with soft lube goes, sprinkle a little powdered mica on your lubed bullets and they won't stick together. Easy fix.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
If you are one of the 85 folks who ordered some felix lube, you will find that the "commercial" batch is not that sticky. Intentionally made thataway because of board member comments being treated as requests by me. Dropped the lanolin percentage and increased the vaseline/microwax percentage, and added some jojoba oil to help compensate for the lanolin drop. The jojoba tends to extend the viscosity of the remaining lanolin which help make the lube stay just as effective in longer barrels. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much thanks gents, I'll go have a look at them. Midway has the Saeco on sale, I'm looking at that one also.

Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you'd indulge me, I'd like to ask some general questions about lubes and sizers on this thread as I get going with this. I'm not known for taking good advice [Roll Eyes] so I am passing on the Star and getting the Saeco instead.

Top punches: Are they caliber specific or nose style specific or both? I am looking at lubing a .452 250gr WFN and a 160gr SWC (both Lee molds) that has a fairly pointy nose. Is this going to be a problem?

Felix: Can you gimme a link to where I can purchase some of that not-so-sticky soft lube? I am going to use it on those bullets in the 8-900fps range from revolver and levergun. I trust it is suitable for that.

Thanks again,
Ian

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think we will have about 10 orders, or slightly less, left over. Send me an email with your vitals at fmr72901atjunodotcom. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, Ian, I'll sell you one of my Saeco lubers. I seldom use the extra one anymore. ... felix

one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix, you have mail.

Ian