New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK to solder galvanized sheetmetal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is off topic, but I figured someone might be familiar with this. Is it SAFE to solder thin gauge galvanized sheetmetal? I know if you weld galvanized it gives off poisonous fumes but soldering is done at a lower temp. I would be soldering with a propane torch and I would quit applying heat as soon as the solder melted.
Thanks,
Max

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I would recomend grinding the galvanizing off at least a 1" back from where you plan to solder, on both sides of the metal. I've never tried soldering it, but I'd think a propane torch would get it hot enough for the nasties to come off.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Galvanized steel is steel coated with zinc. You can't solder to zinc. So removal of the zinc is the first step. Often folks will rid the steel of zinc by using acid. Hit it with acid, clean off the residue and then solder. That leaves an area of steel without solder and without zinc - which can rust.

You shouldn't have any trouble, but do use common sense and good ventillation.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you follow the procedure listed above, go to a welding supply store and buy an aerosol can of spray zinc to protect the area where you removed the original galvanizing.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad was a welding instructor...so I know a little of what I speak. When zinc burns it creates a gas--a poison gas. Zinc poisoning is called the "zinc chills" because you shiver and shake for days afterward. Just be sure you use very good ventilation, like outside in a breeze.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in my youth, I worked part in a construction company shop. Seems to me, the welders there always drank milk, while they were welding galvanized metal. I gather it related to the fumes given off. Explanation?
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A blacksmith died recently after welding a lot of galvanized pipe .But welding produces enough heat to melt and vaporize the zinc.Molten zinc is very volatile and the fumes are toxic.Think of this when you want to make something out of old cases and melt them !....The zinc paint ,IIRC 97% zinc, will be the equivalent to galvinizing if applied according to instructions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I experimented with this. Because zinc is a contaminant in our alloys, I figured solder would adhere to it. It did. I used a propane torch and sweat soldered it. When the flux ran and the solder melted I quit applying heat. Afterwards I was able to seperate the metal parts but it took some effort. I'm just wondering if this is a common practice among, say, sheetmetal workers, and is it safe because the zinc never burns.
Thanks for all the replys.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unless you need a waterproof joint, I'd just pop rivet the sheeting together. Heck, JB weld will provide waterproofing if necessary.

No worry about nasty fumes, likely faster, and plenty strong.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Galvanized with also give you a hammering headache, one so bad you'll never forget it.

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've been doing more research. Soldering galvanized is a routine operation. It just needs to be cleaned first. I found information about this in some Sheetmetal Union workers training materials.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a former sheetmetal worker I can tell you Max is correct. If you are useing soldering irons use muriatic acid as a flux and use 50/50 solder (50% lead, 50% tin). If you are just useing a torch (takes a little more skill to do a presentable job) use 60/40 acid core solder. In either case when you are done be sure to wash the acid off. Good Luck

Posts: 91 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, galvanized solders just fine with an iron. Use a big, heavy copper iron and acid flux. It is touchy with a propane torch.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote