New
Find
Notify
Tools

tire weights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys I have been using tire weights to cast bullets for my pistol shooting, but seems the tire shops are starting to be unwilling to donate their used lead. Any one know where to get it in West Phoenix?

Thanx,
Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to start paying 15-20 cents a pound late last year in Boise, Idaho.

Rich
Buffalo Killer
Free Five Hundred

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the real world. I just bought 25 lbs of wheel weights from a junky...40 cents a lb...they buy at half market rate and sell at market rate.

The tire dealers sell their WW to a commercial dealer that hits all the local tire shops. Soon lead will be a thing of the past as states have to come into line with Federal regulation and lead WW's are phased out.

All you people that voted the wrong way have fu**ed up so bad I could cry...and took yourselves and the rest of the country into the abyss.

Gas, Grass or A**...no one rides for free.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lead weights are being phased out right now, all new shipments to the big companies are steel, get em' while they're hot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to cast commercially in Great Britain in the 1980s buying linotype by the ton from a company call Wilson and Jubb in Leeds, Yorkshire.

Then all the newspapers and printing changed from "hot metal" to "WYSIWYG" printing direct from the computer and in colour. And that was pretty much that!

As another says, buy it whilst you can. It isn't going to rust, dissolve, evaporate it's just storing it. But even that, provided it is where it can't be stolen, can be outdoors on in a cellar or garage.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my last run, Monday afternoon, yielded fifteen of those little black gallon buckets, and half a five gallon bucket. About 1/3rd were the awesome "Micro" brand. About 80% were good lead/tin alloy. As of now, the lead ones are only legal until 1 July, 2011. Let us hope the WW companies are successful in getting congress to overturn that silly notion that animals line the highways of this country waiting for a WW to fall off a vehicle so they can eat it.
I hope to accumulate a couple tons by the deadline and shortly after so I can continue shooting my Sharps.

Rich
Buffalo Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS; my brother retired from Firestone/Bridgestone after 35 years, then went back to working 3 days a week for them, he called to give me a heads-up, their last shipment of new weights were all made of steel. We had all better get them while we can!