Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 457 340 grain mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
have you used this bullet???

Posts: 409 | Location: Mentone. Alabama | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Shooten's good too. Mine goes 351 grs ww alloy.

I lapped the nose rider out to 452 to match my gun. Our plinker load is 15.7 grs of Blue Dot making 1220's with 2 MOA accuracy.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2003 Gun Digest has an article wherein a fellow creates his own hollowpoint bullet by modifing a mold to carry a nose punch. I am thinking of doing the same to this mold or another just like it to create an "express bullet" but also want a good plinker. Your load sounds great, I will try it. Thanks, JP

Posts: 409 | Location: Mentone. Alabama | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
You might just want to hunt up a Lyman #457122HP. They're making the old classic again. A few years ago I looked and looked for one. The only place I could find one was Buffalo Arms then. That "Gould" bullet actually weighs 340 grains in wheelweight metal from my mould and shoots very well.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly at the moment it is a question of cash. I can get the Lee mold for $14.00. Being experienced in machine work and tools, and having machine tools available to me at work, it is a simple matter of economics. I like Lyman and RCBS molds, but I don't find that the extra cost translates into a better bullet, or even a better mold. (I know you didn't broach that subject) I have a Lyman 190 grain roundnose mold for a 357/358 that I would gladly sell or trade, i have cast maybe 250 bullets with it. Got it to feed my 357 Maximum, just like my 158 grain bullet better. Anyone interested????

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I get it!

Wish I had the machine tools and skills to use them!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
aladin
What primer with that load and any kind of fluff to hold the powder in place.
Rifle or pistol?
LouisB
Just full of questions . . . it's answers I lack!

Posts: 4235 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None. Rem 9 1/2M's. Brass partial sized with the die shank on the Lee set only 1.0" from the end to the ring. Rem brass which is very good. A shooten friend ran maybe 20 so rds thru my Buff and got several cloverleaf groups at 100 with only one grouping making over 2 moa. These bullets NOT wt'd or inspected much... ES was under 25 too... go figure.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the mold, a set of dies and 40 peices of brass Saturday, should be here Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. Your load will be one of the first I try. By the by Aladin, what method did you use to lap out the mold? I think I know how it could be done, 600 grit lapping compound on a bullet cast from the mold. Is there a better way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I ordered the mold, a set of dies and 40 peices of brass Saturday, should be here Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. Your load will be one of the first I try. By the by Aladin, what method did you use to lap out the mold? I think I know how it could be done, 600 grit lapping compound on a bullet cast from the mold. Is there a better way?

I believe when I lapped out that 340 mold I used car chrome polish. What grit that is I dunno-- 600 something sounds good too. The Lee aluminum molds are soft and lap out much faster than you'd think.

I apply the lap just to the areas that require enlargement. Stay away from the bullet base at block top and check shanks...