New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass/Powder disposal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a quantity of berdan primed brass that I want to dispose of. Is soaking in water good enough to render it harmless? I also have the powder, (I believe it's corrosive), would the water process work on that also? Thanks, Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Bury the brass and water down the powder and use it for fertilizer. Really roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's the primer that's corrosive, not the powder. As has been said, bury the brass and use the powder for fertilizer. Just use it sparingly as a little goes a long way.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boy's, appreciate it. Suppose the fertilizer will put a snap to my beans ?

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass scrap is 53 cents a pound around here. Put it in a tin bucket and set that in a fire. The primers will cook off. Then put that brass in your scrap bucket with the rest and take it to the local yard for more powder money.

Posts: 30 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh shit....don't waste that powder! What did it come out of? Weigh the charge from a cartridge...use that charge in a similar case/bore size. It makes a bang and squirts a bullet downrange! I saved lots of Chinese 8mm powder due to cracked necks. I yanked the bullets and saved the powder.....smells really good....like camphor, shoots good too!

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You could squirt some WD-40 or oil in the cases to render the primers inert.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I love the smell of the smoke from those Commie-bloc powders with camphor in them!

The ammonia smell of 7383's a different matter, but I'm getting to kind of like that, even! (A classic case of classical conditioning, associating that smell with the fun of shooting. Sort of like a certain perfume I encountered in my youth... Never mind. Or Hoppe's #9.)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote