New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lube Purging?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a quandry and a question. I'm still working with the 200 (233gr) Bator bullet. With various powders, and velocity ranging from 1950 to 2250, I will have good groups, with one flyer, sometimes out as much as eight inches, usually low. I have two grooves lubed in the bullet. I'm getting no leading. Could this be lube purging? Should I try just lubing one groove on the next batch? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Ric, usually lube purging will show up as only as no more than double the group size. In a BR gun, a quarter inch out can indicate something strange, like a missed condition, or a bad boolit, lube and all. Look for something more concrete, like un-intentional bad recoil control. Stock/scope/bag slipage, table rocking, bad sight picture. You know, the works. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, I have virtually eliminated flyers from my military bolt competition by weighing and culling the light weights. For match boolits, the results are worth it. BUT, keep in mind that we are normally talking sub 3 inch groups for a good rifle and shooter. When you are SURE of boolit consistency, I'm with Felix, start looking for other stuff like bench technique, loose sights, loose nut behing the butt plate [Big Grin] , or something else. Frustrating, eh? sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It COULD be the loose nut behind the butt!

I do confess to not carefully placing the bags on the rest every time, but the consistancy of the problem seem to be the sticking point. Why would it only show up on only one shot per group? I keep my chaw in the same spot all the time when shooting>

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
In this situation, it could be crud purging, rather than what typically would be lube purging. Check carefully how the lube is building, if any, around the boolit-case junction circle in the chamber. In other words, scrape clean the chamber neck area after each shot. There should be no fliers then, but because you are jacking with the gun position every time, the resulting group will be lousy. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll try again tomorrow. I can eliminate some of the bench error by lowering the bag position several inches, and that should be much more stable. I had them piled fairly high to offset recoil by sitting up straighter.