THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Request for Quickload (or similar?) info for 405 WCF

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request for Quickload (or similar?) info for 405 WCF
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a "loaded" question, because velocity will depend pressure. What kind of pressure did you have mind?

Quickload lists 35000 psi for max pressure in the 405 Win, no doubt out of respect for old-timey guns. Using this pressure, I quickly ran a few scenarios with a 350 gr. jacketed bullet and was getting about 1800 fps with powders like Varget, H414, or 4350, with 90% - 100% loading density.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Akriet:

Requesting a load in the 405 Winchester for a 375 grain gas checked .413/.414 bullet.. Any advice, real world or virtual, appreciated.

I have a 40/65 on a Marlin 1895 that shoots very well with 375 grain SAECO #640 with 18 grains SR4759, 1/4 sheet of T/P and a 0.050 card wad.

This is a target load, good out to 800 yardsin my 1:18 barrel.

For hunting or general purpose shooting I use a 320 grain flat nose NEI design that I load with 33 grains Data 4197 (like 4198 but 10% slower) and 14 grains Hominy Grits.

Generally the 405 Winchester on your strong action will digest just about anthing you can tollerate sitting behind but best accuracy and weight of the bullet depends on what Ruger has given you for a rate of twist in the barrel.

If you have anything much slower than 1:18 twist you're going to be limited to the lighter bullets.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mountaingun & FAsmus:

Thanks for the info. Ruger advises the twist is 1 in 14. The Greenhill formula applied to the gun gives a green light to pretty long bullets, so I'm figuring that up to 400 grains should be ok.

I would think that limiting the loads to the (SAAMI?) max pressure specs would be what I'd want to do.

I'm looking for powder and load ideas that are likely to give me highest velocity without excessive pressure, with that heavier-than-standard bullet.

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Akriet:

A: I'm looking for powder and load ideas that are likely to give me highest velocity without excessive pressure, with that heavier-than-standard bullet.

F: All I have is the stuff I used in 40/65, which should give you good, safe starting points for loading.

Keep in mind that you will run out of recoil tollerance well before that Ruger runs out of strength!

All loads with 400 grain bullets:

21.0 grains SR4759

26.0 grains Re7

22.0 grains IMR 4227

26.0 grains IMR 4198

The loading of 40/65 (and 405 I should think) brings in the possibility of addition of filler materials.

I have used these with great success, but it is another story.

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote