New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Filler Mtrl. for reduced loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The other day I loaded some 150 grain plain base bullets over 2.8 grains of Bullseye to be used in a 30-30. Someone suggested using 1/4 sheet of toilet paper over the powder. I tried this in one case. Something about it didn't seem right, so, being cautious I didn't use the tp wad at all. The loads shot ok without it. I've never used wads in my reduced loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your post was, at least to me, a little vague. Are you talking about reduced loads with jacketed bullets or cast bullets. When you say..as per Speer manual, that caught my attention, as I don't recall Speer dealing with cast bullets. although I don't have a current one. We really need to know what bullet, which powder and what charge weight to give you anything close to an informed opinion. Reduced load is not enough..some "reduced loads" can be down right dangerous depending on the combination of bullet, powder and charge weight.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charger,
Sharp eye you have there. At least I stated not to use the fillers with jacketed. I was looking at one of my older Speer manuals and they had reduced loads for about three bullet weights and the powder they used was 4759 exclusively and from 16 to 25 grs depending on which of the three bullets you used.

Joe