New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEI Handtools ... Bad guy report
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Hate to do this, but I have totally lost patience with NEI. I am speaking as a person, not a moderator.

Here's the story
A group of us ordered a mold for a 500gr GC .475 bullet, with the woodliegh nose. It was explained, over and over again, that the bullet MUST weigh 500grs with GC and lube, as it was for (mostly) double rifles. I must have said this at least 15 times, over a ouple emails and voice conversations.

The mold arrives, and casts 538gr bulletes, when the GC is placed and lubed.

10percent is unacceptable.

I have called and emailed NEI on several occasions, and after the first call, I can not have either my mail or calls returned.

I explained to ?"Joel?" that the mold makes 538 gr completed bullets. He replied that
quote:
All of the molds he sells are the lead only weight, and the lube and gascheck are not included in the weights

Sorry, gotta pull the bull BS Flag. Now, I've only ordered 1/2 a dozen or so molds from them... and everyone except this one, with GCs, the bullets are within 1 percent of claimed weight, COMPLETE.

Was I nice on the first call? Certainly... I suggested that I send him the mold and have it reworked, and no, I would not be willing to have a recut nose (uglified), and I would really like it if the shank was shorter. We ended the call with a promise to call me back when the solution was revieiled, or by the end of the week... that was over 5 weeks ago, and no answers to emails or repeated calls.

I will not be suggesting these folks for custom molds, again.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38501 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the AR site receiving over 200,000 views a day one would think that the bad word on this kind of crap would travel fast. You would think this would hurt their business?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I would think that NEI should be more customer focused. Reporting how a business operates seems reasonable, no?

After, anyone can run a good business if NOTHING goes wrong.

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

On the one hand, I've never gotten a custom mold that casts right on the button weight wise. My custom 270-300 gr molds have been 5-10 grs over, and my custom 450 gr mold produces 460 gr bullets. I have an LBT 50 cal mold stamped 450 gr that produces 470 gr bullets. And all these molds are supposed to be designed for wheel weights, which is what I make my bullets out of. Casting is not as exact as plugging numbers in to a CNC machine. Even mountain molds, that uses modeling software and a CNC setup is off a bit on finished weights.

So I can understand your frustration, but my personal experience has been that my molds always cast heavier than the manufacturers estimate, but I don't shoot a double so it isn't a big deal.

Good news is you have some possible solutions. Since I like sticking with straight ww's, I'd advise option 1 if it works.

Option 1) Provided the gc shank is long enough, mill the face of the mold to shorten the gc stub until the mold casts the weight you want. I used to know how many thousandths equated per gr of bullet weight, but it's been awhile. I'd say if you have 1/16 to play with, you'll probably be able to whittle it down to match. This will be about the only way to a get mold that is spot on.

Option 2) The other option is alloying your melt with linotype to get a less dense alloy and hence lighter bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .476" GCFP double mold I ordered from Ballisti-Cast (the successor of H&G) was received and it makes bullets in the 502+- grain range. As far as I'm concerned that's dead on.

Shoots well for me and has for several others.

Don't understand the need for a woodleigh nose ... which is not a good shape for cutting paper or killing game with a cast bullet.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'll always give a thumbs up for ballisticast molds on quality, they are far and away my favorite.

But as to being spot on with weights, both my .476" molds cast heavy, the "300" LFN pb produces a 310 gr bullet, that is amazingly accurate, and the "450" WFN gc produces a 460 gr bullet. That said, both bullets are modifications of existing designs. The 300 gr has the cherry sunk shallow for a two lube groove bullet, and the 450 is sunk extra deep for a longer gc shank. Both shoot great though.

310 is second from left, 460 is far right.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
all my other molds have been VERY close to target weight, totally assembled, lube and GCs... this mold, even using the lightest alloy possible, is nearly 10% too high, and the maker won't fix it. I am NOT going to cut on it, as that will "void" his "Warrenty" .... but I don't mind sharing my crappy experience with them, and not having emails and calls returned.

How long can it actually take HIM to fix this mold? 2 hours, tops?

The guy was told, repeadedly, 500gr complete. they aren't... his answer "oh, all out published weights are without GC and Lube" .. BULLOCKS...

either than, or I have 1/2 a dozen molds to return to him, as the finished bullets are at advertised weights, and according to him, that makes them UNDERWEIGHT...

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you specify alloy? Switching to LT (if not already) will drop the weight by at least 30 gr and probably closer to 45. If you can't get satisfaction you might at least be able to get a usable bullet.
C.G.B.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the ~540 is with LT.. A pro-caster tried to get this to work for us.. I have tried a BUNCH to get this solved

SO, to be really really clear... the cast bullet is LONGER than the jacketed one!!

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Send it back and tell him to make it right. I'm thinking it needs around 0.080" shaved from the base of the mold. If the gc shank is too short, he needs to make you a new one, if not, it's a pretty easy mill job.

If that still doesn't work, dispute the charge on your card and be done with it.

I'd say balisticast is worth a try if NEI doesn't make it right. I haven't dealt with the new folks at NEI, so dunno what they're like. Ballisticast has always been top notch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you could offer me the mould...dirt cheap...you kow how I am...and try it again...this time specify the same cut...but .080" shorter...and maybe get what you need. Who's gaschecks are you using?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote