New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lyman 475132 at 1000 yards
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The new design Lyman 457132 "Postell" has been for sale for some time now, I bought mine last year thinking it would really look like their old Postell bullet. It doesn't.

Once I had it I cast up a few hundred to see what I could see. I found that they cast extreamly easily once the initial break-in bullets were made. The bullet cast somewht undersize at 0.457 on the body and 0.446 for the "bore-rider" portion of the bullets: Kind of small for my conventional 45/70 barrel.

Shooting at 100 yards didn't show me much. Groups didn't look really promissing and I thought I'd wasted my money.

Then I loaded up some cartrdiges for long range testing. I was very pleasently surprized to find accuracy improving the further the range was extended.

Now, today I loaded up 56 rounds for long range testing at 1000 yards. The bullets were cast with 20/1 alloy over 21 grains SR4759, using the inverted gascheck method. Accuracy was excellent.

Our 1000 yard target is a 4 X 4 piece of steel and I found I could not only hit it easily, but by careful sight ajustments "walk" my hits around the steel almost at will on my way to the middle: This was very satisfying shooting for sure.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most times at the 1000 yard firing point:

I sat down at the 1000 yard firing point by myself last Saturday to see how things would go. It took four shots to get on the steel since it had been raining and I missed seeing my sighters at first due to lack of dust. Then the shooting went very well.

As an aside when I sat down and looked at the 4 X 4 target I was amazed to see it clean except for a 10 shot group about a foot or less in diameter right below the white spot. I couldn't understand how such a compact group could have been fired at any extended range, let along 1000 yards. I did the firing (below) and the next day I was shooting again, a fellow shooter showed up and I asked him if he were the one who fired the group on the big steel. He said yes, he was the man who did the shooting; did I like it? Well, although I was interested I wasn't ready to buy it so I asked him if he had fired it off the bench or cross-sticks. He said he shot it from off the sticks.. But then I could see him trying suppress his feelings and put it to him. It turned out that yes, he did do the shooting but after he was done he went up and repainted the target, leaving only the nice compact 10 shot group for the next fellow to look at and wonder about. Sneaky fellow, but it was fun.

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sky C.
posted Hide Post
Howdy Mr. Asmus-

It's been a while since I've sen your posts on the board.

I was wondering how things went up at the Quigley Shoot this year. I didn't get a chance to get up there again this year - had to be on the road for biz.

Best regards-

Sky C.

Posts: 103 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
FA,
What sort of velocity you gettin with them funny smokeless loads?
I load that same bullet in my Sharps with 66gn FFG Swiss for 1140fps. I have found strange things happen on windy days, this bullet just doesn't drift. Other shooters are makin windage adjustments of a target an a bit while I just aim for center at 600yards.
I read somewhere that a heavy bullet that doesn't break the sound barrier is not affected by wind because it avoids that air pressure wave when doing so.
I load and shoot the bullet "as cast with no sizing" and I have shot 10 shot 200yard groups down to 2.7" [Cool]

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sky,

Well, I've been here looking around some, reading posts and all but mainly the msn BPCR site has been receiving my attention.

Over there the results from Quigley are all right up front and available as well as comments about the match.

I went there intending to win the "Lever Rifle" class and I did, with my M1895 Marlin that I have rebarreled to 40/65. For more detail see msn or email me personal. I'd like to find our how those modified Gunn bullets worked out for you last spring for example.

BA Wallace,

The load I use goes about 1250 ft/sec.

You're right about the lower speeds giving less drift for a given range, unless of course you can shoot them supersonic all the way to the target.

The Lyman bullet works well and I think I may use it for the 1000 yard Championship next week up in Montana.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting the Montana 1000 yard Buffalo Rifle Championship

On Sunday I got with another Sheridan shooter for the drive to Forsyth. We were on the road by 0545. I'd decided to ride with him instead of doing my own driving because its only a one day match, he was making the drive anyway and sharing the fuel made good sense. Everything went well until we were 80 miles out of town when I remembered that my cross-sticks, shooting rug and tripod were still sitting in the back of my truck. Fortunately I did have my rifle and ammunition!

It was too late to turn back of course so I wound up shooting off my friend's prone cross sticks, he preferred sitting stick anyway.. Now, I haven't used prone sticks for some years due to the discomfort us old folks feel in that position but, there it was: I'd forgotten mine and needed something!

I borrowed a ground pad from match organizer Al Lee and used other folk's scopes and tripods. It worked out.

There was plenty of time for sighting in when we arrived and I was happy to find the Sheridan 1000 yard settings to match with Forsyth quite closely.

When the record shooting began I did poorly. The aperture front sights that worked so well from sitting sticks in Sheridan didn't work well at all from prone. It was plenty windy and I could not see the sight to adjust it from prone as conditions changed. I only got two hits of ten at the first stage! Terrible.

I changed over to the normal blade front sight after that and things went better, allowing me to make the normal small changes without having to adjust the sight constantly. Still, things were tough. I only got 6 of the next stage, and 5 each for the remaining two, winding up with a total of 18. I was depressed, thinking I was out of it; no chance to place anywhere reasonable.

So, when I heard my name being called on the way back to the car I was very surprized to find that I'd come in 3rd overall, finishing ahead of all other Sheridan shooters! Amazing. I guess everyone else had had the same challenges I did in getting on a staying on in the heat and wind.

The wind was very good at first: Nice and steady from 8 o'clock at 10 - 12. Then it veered to 10:30, lost strength and finally began doing the very worst thing of all: Come basically from 12 o'clock but naturally moving from one side to the other of center and just strong enough to move you right off the steel if you weren't right there watching it.

I had brought about a gallon of cool water and needed it steadily as the temperature rose from 80 at the first record shooting at 1000 right on up over 100 degrees by mid afternoon: It was hot.

In this shooting the Lyman 457132 preformed very well. I had no trouble understanding why my misses were missed. The bullet holds plenty of lube and this was really needed due to elevated temperatures. No leading ocured and although the barrel heated up in a serious way accuracy remained excellent.

Good morning,
Forrest